Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 93

dick29, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Recognize this? Parts questions on a 23rd series.
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

M@Ross
See User information
I have 2 questions really. The first is regarding the placement of the piece in the first pic. I can't figure out from the resources or my memory where it is remounted.
Any help would be awesome.

Second, in the next pic is my Carburetor. I know that i am missing the choke control on the side facing the shot. It is a black cap i think. My question is, What am i trying to order? Do i need a carb kit or can i just order the piece? If i can just get that piece from kanter or max, what exactly am i asking for?

Sorry, i'm still new to this.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.34 KB)
407_475cf8f070658.jpg 800X602 px

jpg  (42.21 KB)
407_475cf8fe11586.jpg 800X602 px

Posted on: 2007/12/10 3:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Recognize this? Parts questions on a 23rd series.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day With Number 1, it appears not to be connected to anything. Seek a few opinions before doing anything.
With No 2, It doesn't appear to me to be the Carter Carb for your model, although the choke heat riser pick-up looks to fit ok. I would suggest that you await a few items of advice before you initiate any actions. I have a few of the correct 288 Carter carbs and would be happy to send one over if it would help. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2007/12/10 5:48
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't see enough of the carburetor to see if it's the correct one or not, hopefully the small triangular brass tag is still present. You didn't say what model your car (or engine) is; assuming its a 2301 (288 engine) there was a carburetor change during production and a WDO 644S (early) or a WGD 728S (late) would be correct. The Super Eight (327 engine) would be a WDO 643S and the Custom 8 (356 engine) a WDO 531S. The automatic choke cover and internal parts do not come in a carburetor overhaul kit so you'll have to find them separately, they interchange between a large number of Carter carburetors so you shouldn't have much trouble finding another carburetor with these parts.

As far as the under-dash item, I've owned one of these cars and worked on others but must say I don't recognize it. Perhaps it's the socket for the cigar lighter? Or perhaps the light socket that illuminates the switch labels (particular to the 23rd series only).

Posted on: 2007/12/10 9:15
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

M@Ross
See User information
It is model number 2362 and the brass tag is still there. I'll check it out to make sure that it matches when i head to my fathers house.

As far as the the part in Pic#1, We already have the swith light in and functional as well as the maplights and glove box. I'll double check on the cigar lighter but that looked to be ok. plus the brown part is card board, making it more odd.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 13:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
The carb looks to be missing the cover over the metering rods. These carbs are not usually too difficult to locate on E-Bay etc. and I have seen a few of the the choke mechanisms on E-Bay for sale over the past few months so if you are in no hurry the pieces will become available.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 15:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I recognize the cardboard tube which shields the light from shining thru any spot other than what is intended. It was in friend John's 23rd series, but that was a couple of years ago and I can't recall exactly what it indicates. I believe it bolts onto the back of the panel holding all of the switches and is meant to shine thru one particular hole to indicate parking lights or headlights or ??? Put a bulb in the socket, ground the socket itself and then with the ignition turned on, work the various switches in that row. When the bulb lights up you will learn which switch needs that indicator light and can determine where it should bolt up. If you have an owners manual, that may also help.
John's car had overdrive and I believe that also has an indicator light.

After reading the 1948 owners manual, I believe the info is contained under "Controls".

Posted on: 2007/12/10 17:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe in 50, things changed so there were 2 lamps associated with the switch area and wired so the headlight switch energized. One was a small dot or jewel indicator that only lit when headlights were on and the other was on when any lights were on & provided general illumination to the switch area although just how, I don't remember. Is there any area open that shines down on switch actuators or some kind of plastic or glass "conduit" the bulb would be directed into.

Posted on: 2007/12/10 19:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I agree with Randy and HH56. I think Item 1 could be your Light Switch indicator. Located just above the headlight switch, it comes on when either the parking or headlights are on.

PS... I use a digital camera to document every single thing I do on my Packards (particularly any disassembly). It's saved my bacon on many occasions. And digital film is SO cheap!

Posted on: 2007/12/10 22:37
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

M@Ross
See User information
The listing on the model info page here says i should have a carter WDG 728 carb for a model 2362. What i now have currently is a WDO 644 on the 288 engine. Will this matter? Do i have the wrong carb or do i have the earlier carb choice?

I found and ordered the choke mechanism/cap for the 644, i just hope i don't need a different carb.

Also i think you guys are right about the jewel light, i still need to see if i can locate it. Thanks for all the advice.

Posted on: 2007/12/12 15:30
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I am showing that the 644 was correct for the 1948 288 22nd Series cars. So either your was replaced at some point, or the factory decided to use some left over parts on your car!

The 644 used a 777 rebuild kit, while the 728 uses the 783 rebuild kit. The WDO and WGD are different series of carburetors from Carter. If you search on the website here, you should find rebuild information for both.

Posted on: 2007/12/12 22:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved