Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 186

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Ultramatic low range disengaging
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ulrich
See User information
Hi.

The pre pre owner gave the gearbox to inspection/overhaul. I?ve got the receipt of the work. They have replaced a converter wheel and checked it. Than it has been serviced with dexron ATF fluid. I own the car since march and the pre-owners had the same problem but they did not care. They have always used the H range. When I checked the fluid level I had to refill 4.5 quarts but the gear was working as before.

Ulrich.

Posted on: 2010/9/19 12:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2010/10/4 2:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Ulrich:

According to the manual, I suppose this problem is classified as "does not move in Low". There is a gadget called a "timing valve" which can stick or was perhaps put together wrong.

The oil leak is not good. If it is blowing fluid on the road then the transmission was not put together properly.

If you can't take it back then perhaps the valve may free up on its own. I suppose the band could be out of adjustment or place but that doesn't sound likely. All the other fixes require servicing the valve body.

I was making adjustments on an UM and everything was perfect except the idle speed. I had to lengthen the linkage. Just that little bit threw the transmission into chaos. Packard had all kinds of memos out about the throttle linkage saying that the manual was wrong. Oh brother.

Posted on: 2010/10/4 20:44
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ulrich
See User information
Hi Tim.

I took a look on the hydraulic schematic and I also think the timing vale will be the problem in conjunction with a badly adjusted linkage. When the low range disengages the pressure is removed from the low range piston suddenly. It seems there is a hydraulic valve shifting and directing the pressure from one to the other side of the low range piston.
The pre-owners did not care about the problem and the exessive oil leakage. When they owned the car there was still warranty on the gearbox. Now not any more.
I don`t think the company that did the overhaul on the gearbox is experienced on oldtimer parts and the one who installed it on the car did not know how to adjust the linkage. It is absolutely misadjusted and the carburetor rod is bended.
According to the manual you need aspecial tool for adjusting the throttle cross shaft. I tried to find out the dimensions of this tool but I had no sucess.

I put my car into the database. Unfortunately the picture upload did not work. I think the picture was too big. I will take a new picture with a lower resolution and put it in the databse.

Thanks.

Uli

Posted on: 2010/10/13 12:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The dimension is 2.75 inches, or about 7 cm. In my experience, this is not life and death important compared with the adjustment of the lever at the transmission. Based on several cases I have now seen, make sure the lever on the trans. is pointing up and not down. Check out 51packard's blog from about a month ago for more discussion and pictures of this issue.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 14:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Ulrich:

After looking this over perhaps you are on the right track in looking at the throttle valve (TV). Let's suppose too much TV pressure is going to the regulator via the limit valve then mainline pressure to the low band might be wrong.
I have to admit I never tried misadjusting the linkage to see what happens to Low range.

TV is universal. The more TV pressure the more the transmission delays up shifting.

With Ultramatic, correct TV pressure will have Direct Drive engaging between 23-28 mph under moderate acceleration.

Now if you study those special TV tools in the manual you will see they are intended to provide uniform results for flat rate service times.

Thus, follow first principles and get the throttle rod in the right place at the transmission clevis and then follow the picture. With a little road testing you can get TV where it should be.

I have a 54 scheduled in the future for which there is too much TV and it shifts into DD too late.

Anyway, getting the High Range working properly might fix the Low range problem.

Let me know what happens.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 18:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved