Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 175

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Looking to buy 1939 Packard Super 8
Just popping in
Just popping in

mzenz
See User information
I have a friend of the family that is looking to sell their original 1939 Super 8 and I love this car and am interested in purchasing it. However, I want to learn a bit more about the car and caring for it. The first question is price - how much is a fair price? It is original, never restored, paint has cracked in a few spots, chrome is great runs (need carb rebuilt/adjusted, tranny is good, interior is a bit faded but no rips, headliner is mint, dash around clock is cracked, a bit of wear on doors from arms. Has trunk and trunk cover. It looks great.

Second question is to have it restored or not. It is definately a beauty but is not mint. Not sure what a frame off resto would run for this.

Lastly, is there a good Packard service tech in the NJ area?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Posted on: 2010/9/22 18:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Looking to buy 1939 Packard Super 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like a nice car. I'm a real fan of original, maintained vehicles and like many these days would much rather look at one of them that's clean a presentable, warts and all, than a restored example. But that's your choice. It can only be original once, as they say.

One of the best Packard mechanics in the country for the Classic era is in Lebanon New Jersey, Steve Babinsky's Automotive Restorations on Route 22 West, 908-236-6400. PM me if you want to discuss further.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 18:42
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

mzenz
See User information
Thanks Owen. I live about 30 minutes from Lebanon. I will plan to touch base with him. I will also PM you as I get more thoughts together.

Posted on: 2010/9/22 19:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The 1939 Super Eight is a one year only model. An interesting blend of old power plant and new body and chassis. I have always liked them for these reasons. Good luck.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/9/22 19:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi Mark, welcome to Packard Info. I own a 1703 Super 8 Touring sedan. I provided a synopsis of some '39 Super 8 highlights and differences in another thread to another poster who inquired at that time. There is some clutter to cut through in that thread, but is fairly informative.

Our 1703 sounds very similar to the one you describe condition wise. Like Dave, (OD) I also like preserved original specimens. The 39 Super 8 is basically the same as a 1940 Super 8 180 with the exception of the old 3 piece engine. As much as they are similar, the 3 piece engine versus the all new 356 for '40 couldn't be any more different. That aside, the 320 equipped with overdrive and driven responsibly will perform well on the highway. Presently, my car is equipped with 4.36 gears and overdrive. It will cruise at 60 MPH very capably. Without overdrive, these cars equipped with the standard 4.36 ratio and the 5" stroke, in my opinion run out at 45 - 50 MPH

As far as value, you would need to post some detailed images. If you do, I would be happy to take a look and PM you my contact info to discuss.

Aspects of this car, especially the engine, can be a bit challenging depending on needed repair. Dave (OD) is very familiar with this family of engine and would know if the fellow he recommended could perform any required work. Armed with a skilled mechanic, and a 320 in proper repair, this could be an enjoyable car.

Best of luck! Jim

Posted on: 2010/9/22 20:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It's my understanding that the '39 has the later style engine and requires a one year only bellhousing. My question is, would this '39 Senior bellhousing also fit a 385 engine? Are the 320 and 385 engines similar enough on the backside to allow some creative transmission options?

I ask this because I may have located a 385 here locally and was thinking of using it in something...

Posted on: 2010/9/22 22:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
mzenz wrote:......original 1939 Super 8......
G'day Mark,
to PackardInfo, seems the friendly, knowledgeable and experienced Packard guys here are already off to a flying start.

And, if you purchase the '39 Super 8, I invite you to include it in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic and any known history.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 6:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are the 320 and 385 engines similar enough on the backside to allow some creative transmission options?

Generally (39 may be an exception due to the column shift option) the 320 and 385 engines shared the same transmission with the 445/473 engines.

Posted on: 2010/9/23 8:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hey Eric, the '39 Super isn't necessarily a latter style engine, it is very similar to the long running 320 engine family with a number of '39 only components. I think what you may have meant was it used the latter style transmission. That would be correct. The '39 Super 8 uses the large input transmission that was used for at least the next decade +

Back to your question - Is the 320 bell housing bolt pattern the same as the 385. Unfortunately, I don't know. I believe that '38 and earlier cars had an integrated transmission / bell housing and have no reason to believe the bolt circle changed between '38 and '39 320's, no reason to believe the '39 had a one year bolt circle. So, since Dave mentioned the transmissions interchanged between 320 and 385, then I would think yes, the '39 bell housing would bolt up to a 385. This would certainly open up some neat transmission options, including overdrive depending on the application. A 385 powered ???

Posted on: 2010/9/23 23:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I know the '39 Super isn't a later style engine, just wanted to know if it uses a "later style" bellhousing, meaning the transmission and bellhousing come apart. This would allow me to use a later, say '49 or so, 356 o/d trans behind a 385.

And "A 385 powered ???", yes, that is the question, isn't it?

Posted on: 2010/9/24 8:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved