Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 213

JW49, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gas pedal starter question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mike
See User information
Ok, this is my first Packard. It's my first 'old' car. And this is my first post, after searching the forum and not being able to find the answer, or anything even related.

I really dig the gas pedal starter on my '53 Clipper. I was able to start it 1st time, and every time with no problems. In case everyone is not familiar with it, you basically turn the ignition key on, and mash the gas pedal to the floor, and the car starts. Now for my question. What happens when I am driving down the highway, and I need to mash the gas pedal to the floor to pass or go up a hill? Does my starter kick in to give me an extra 1/4 HP? Does the starter care if the hill is 17 miles long and has to run for 20 minutes? Is there something that tells the starter that the car is already running and it doesn't need to engage when I mash the pedal? Do you like how I turned one question into 5? Or is that now 6?

Posted on: 2010/10/19 17:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Gas pedal starter question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If everything is working properly as soon as you start the car, vacuum will pull a small ball up away from the switch a short distance and hold it there. As soon as that ball is out of the way, there is no mechanical connection between throttle shaft and switch plunger and things will stay that way until engine stops.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.24 KB)
209_4cbe261a57dbe.jpg 800X635 px

Posted on: 2010/10/19 18:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
If everything is working properly as soon as you start the car,

This point is CRITICAL to the correct operation of the starter switch. Even a minor vacuum leak at the base of the bakelite piece will cause it not to work correctly.

Posted on: 2010/10/19 18:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
MadDog53 wrote:....this is my first Packard. It's my first 'old' car.....
G'day Mike,
to PackardInfo, part of the wonderful world of old cars, specifically Packards.

And for including your '53 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. See by the pic the next generation really like it. And you can add another question, in the Drivetrain Information there, to the 5 or 6 you've already asked. And my short answer to that would be - No. It was an extra cost option for $110, see the Optional Equipment at the foot of the '53 Model Info page.

Posted on: 2010/10/19 18:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Dog, no, the starter should NOT engage while driving down the road! When I purchased my '53 Cavalier, it was doing the same thing and chewed my starter gear right down to the nub. What I did eventually (it kind of angered some of the members here, but for me its cheap piece of mind), I installed a toggle switch in the starter wire. This way, I know that the starter CAN'T engage unless I want it to and throw the switch.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 10:04
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mike
See User information
Thanks everyone for the answer. I haven't driven the car yet, except into and out of the trailer. And around the yard a few times to move it out of the way of other projects. Is there an easy way to make sure it IS working properly, or NOT working properly?

Posted on: 2010/10/21 13:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the switch is clean and all components are there and properly adjusted, then should not be an issue. I am not aware of any foolproof way to prevent a failed switch from energizing though -- other than a second switch as scottie did. Will say that with all the Packards, Buicks and other cars using the exact same Carter setup, I have not heard of it being a common problem.

Once you get the car to the roadworthy point, one way to test would be to start the car, then remove the wire going to the solenoid from starter switch leaving the one from ign switch connected. Have a test lamp, one side connected to ground inside the car and with a long other wire. Connect that wire in the solenoid wire's place. Take it for a drive and push the throttle down and see if the light comes on. Of course, even if it checks good now, something can always fail tomorrow.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 14:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hi all,

The switch looks pretty basic and fool proof in the cutaway.
One of the first things I'm going to do with mine when it gets here is to make sure that filter screen at the bottom of the switch is clean! It looks like a clog there could really foul things up.

Jim L. in OR

Posted on: 2010/10/21 15:27
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mike
See User information
Thank you very much HH56.

Posted on: 2010/10/21 16:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved