Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

HH56, Plugs1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Chugging engine...
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Quote:

Dave Merrick wrote:
I'm having the EXACT same problem.
At startup, the car would puff out black smoke till it got warmed up. I took it to the mechanic for a tune-up and some other work (New water pump, etc...) It ran flawlessly for about 2 days. Then the black smoke came back. A friend of mine smelled it and said "Yup, that's gas" Now I also have a chugging engine. I tried the screwdriver trick to no avail.

One thing I did notice is that when I got it back the vacuum hose was disconnected from the wiper pump and left hanging I hooked it back up and the engine started to chug. So I took it off and it hasn't stopped chugging since; with or without the hose attached.

What now?

Could be that the mechanic who tuned it up set the idle mixture with the vacuum hose off. If so, he would have adjusted the mix too rich to compensate for the vacuum leak. Try leaning out the idle adj screws.

Posted on: 2010/11/16 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Paul:

This is a common problem. Make sure the heat riser is working for starters.

More likely it is the choke pulloff. This is a vacuum piston that wears out and doesn't pull the choke off enough causing overchoking. Once the motor warms up the choke opens and the motor runs okay.

This can also be caused by a combination of low compression and worn out carburetor.

On the Strombergs there are air atomizer passages that fill up with gum and cause flooding due to syphon action. This requires service by someone with experience and the special jet wrench/puller (ie Daytona, Carburetor Doctor, Classic Carburetors, etc)

To check remove air cleaner, start motor, and open the manually open the choke slighty. If the motor smooths out you have found the problem. There is a specification for the amount of pull off which I don't have handy.

Quite frankly, I would put a manual choke on any carburetor that has this problem because rebuilding just won't help very much.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2010/11/16 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Check to see that the choke butterfly moves freely, overchoking can occur if it does not open smoothly. To free it up, spray the butterfly shaft and all linkage with WD 40 , Liquid Wrench etc

Check to see that the choke butterfly is closed when the engine is cold and fully open when warmed up.

If there is a needle and seat problem causing flooding you will be able to see gas dribbling in when you remove the air cleaner with the engine running.

A "chugging" sound at idle can also be caused by a leaking exhaust manifold either where it meets the block, the joint with the exhaust pipe or the worn bushingsa at the shaft ends of the heat riser.

To locate the sound which can be very elusive, take a length of vacuum hose about 3 feet long adn put one end to your ear. Move the other end around to the suspected areas of a leak, you'll be able to pinpoint it easily.

Fred Kanter
Kanter Auto Products
Boonton NJ

Posted on: 2010/11/16 21:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Sorry I took so long to get back to you!! Other fish to fry... After the tapping operation (hehe) the car ran as normal, that is smoothly. It has been at the transmission shop for about 2 weeks now, so i don't know if it is still purring along. I hope so though!

Posted on: 2010/11/16 21:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Hey, did you watch David Letterman last night?? His Top Ten Reasons was on 48-54 Packards!! Reason #2 was that you can fix them with a screwdriver handle!! Reason #4 was that you don't need to drive to the chiropractor after contorting to get into the car, and Reason #6 is that a headlight costs less than $250.

Of course Reason #1 is that you can never lose it in the parking lot at the mall.

Fred Kanter
Kanter Auto Products
Boonton NJ

Posted on: 2010/11/17 10:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's great. Wonder how we made the big time. Intrigued about repairing with the use of just the handle though. As to never losing one in the mall, with the narrow space striping in so many now, you almost have to find a section by yourself just to get the back half of the car out of the traffic lane or you out of the car. If you can't get out, you can't lose it.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 11:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard,

I think Fred is just pulling our leg there.....

Posted on: 2010/11/17 11:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wouldn't surprise me and since I never watch Letterman, couldn't tell you. Leg pulling or not, Fred (or Dave) does have a valid point or two--maybe not the screwdriver but definitely the getting in without a chiropractor and the parking lot. They didn't advertise "chair high seats" for nothing and if you did find a space wide enough to get out of the car, the Packard would still tower a foot above almost anything else except a semi.

Posted on: 2010/11/17 12:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Me, pulling your leg?? Are you pulling MY leg??

Posted on: 2010/11/17 12:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Which is why one of mine is going to wind up a "Daily Driver"!

Posted on: 2010/11/17 13:11
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved