Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

synthetic oil in packard v8
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
I just purchased another 56 clipper it is in excelent shape and the previous owner says he only uses sythetic oil i have always planned on rotella but am not sure weather to change back or do i have to stay with synthetic. what would i need to do to change back? ie flush and refill and what to flush with and how many flushes would be needed? thank you for your support.
ps/ i will add to owners registry soon vin is 5662 1983

Posted on: 2010/11/11 22:02
 Top  Print   

Re: synthetic oil in packard v8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
buddyfromvb wrote: I just purchased another 56 clipper......ps/ i will add to owners registry soon.....
Buddy,

Congratulations and.....That's what I like to hear!

But I will have to leave it to the more knowledgeable and experienced to answer your question.

Posted on: 2010/11/11 22:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If the engine's been rebuilt I'd have no issue with using synthetic oil, but I'd be sure to add some ZDDP additive to it.

I wouldn't use synthetic on an engine that hasn't been rebuilt though, as you usually end up with more leaks than you can count. But, if the engine's fresh then I'd highly recommend it. I'm sure there will be others with differing opinions, but plain and simply synthetic oil will last longer and make the engine last longer as well.

Posted on: 2010/11/11 22:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think the use to which you'll put the car should come into play in the choice. Many of us drive our collector cars perhaps 1000 miles a year, and long, sustained drives tend to be the exception. If that'll be the case with you, such use tends to increase the propensity for collecting moisture in the crankcase because the road-draft tube system isn't particularly effective at low speeds and lots of idle time. If that's the case, you're better off to change the oil annually or at least at 1000 miles intervals and in so doing you gain none of the extended oil change interval benefits of a synthetic.

But whatever you use, use top grade product and change it regularly and no less often than once a season. Many of use who lay up our cars over the winter change oil just before we lay them up for season so they sit without the accumulation of moisture, combustion by-product acids, etc.

And if the car ownership is new to you and you don't have prior history of maintenance, drop the pan and clean it and the pump intake screen.

Posted on: 2010/11/11 23:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
for including your '56 Clipper Custom Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry, it looks good! Is the car behind it in the pic the '38 Plymouth mentioned in your other '56 Clipper Custom Touring Sedan Registry entry?

Posted on: 2010/11/12 2:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Buddy, There is no need to flush out synthetic oil to return to non synthetic such as Rotella. Whatever residual synthetic oil remains in the engine is compatible with non synthetic so just make the switch. Unless you are driving in extreme conditions or desire longer change intervals synthetics are overkill in my opinion.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 8:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wallis
See User information
Congrats on the new "baby".

Ditto with Turbo on the oil leaks. Several years ago I bought a new Volvo wagon and after about one year I switched to Mobil One which precipitated several new leaks (never leaked a drop before). Switched back to a conventional oil and the leaks stopped. I'd recommend Chevron Delo 400, as it has robust anti-foam additives to make it compatible with HEUI diesel injection systems, where foaming can make the injectors perform poorly. The Packard V8 is prone to lifter clatter if the oil foams.

Posted on: 2010/11/12 12:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
Thank you for the valuable information.
I have many more questions so, I'm sure that I'll become a regular here. I am inclosing a picture of my 38 Plymouth Coupe.

Attach file:

jpg  (132.81 KB)
2263_4cde996c4e1b3.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2010/11/13 8:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved