Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Lifters? Help please!
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
If it "sounds like a diesel engine" then I'd guess that multiple or all lifters are noisy. If this is the case then a possible source of the problem could be blocked or low oil pressure to the lifter gallery. If it's more a case of just one or two lifters making all the racket, then a dirty or worn-out lifter(s) could be the cause.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 10:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
How about a good photo of the area on the engine where the oil pressure sending unit and oil filter feed and return lines connect?

Also, were the valves serviced (replaced or ground) recently? If so, was the clearance between the lifters and the stems adjusted at that time?

Posted on: 2012/1/19 10:52
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Packard Dude
See User information
Although this thread is so old it has gray hair...

The difference between a hydraulic and solid cam is the difference in the "ramp". With a solid lifter the lash (.007" on a 288) has to be slowly taken up so there's less impact on the valvetrain. The area between where the lobe profile starts to increase, finally eliminate the lash and actually begins to move the valve is that ramp. Once the lash is taken up the profile becomes much more aggressive.

On a hydraulic cam, because the lifter is always in contact with the cam (no lash) that "ramp" area isn't necessary, and the profile is more linear. The actual, at-the-valve lift is identical, and the duration specs are almost similar between solid and hydraulic, with slight differences being made for displacement and other considerations. The worst that could happen with running solid lifters on a hydraulic cam is stress on the valvetrain, but any actual performance change would be negligible. I would say, in theory, you could run hydraulic lifters on a solid cam, but not vice-versa.

I've "heard" that Kanter's hydraulic lifters are made in China, and therefore not worthy of being installed in a Packard.

Bob in Portland

Posted on: 2012/1/29 20:15
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Oh stay tuned.... we may have found another source for Packard Hydraulic S-8 lifters. They are a little but more expensive but are truely FAA inspected and approved.

I will let the boys that can explain this further take the lead, but this gives us another option for QUALITY made and inspected lifters.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 21:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Will lifters also be available for the 356ci engine?

Posted on: 2012/1/29 22:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes this discovery was for the 356 lifters. Not sure how different that later lifters (288/327/359) are and if there is a similar cross application.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 22:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Thanks Kev. Please keep informed about availabilty. I know I need at least two and hope they will not be made in China, Taiwan etc.etc.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 22:47
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Packard Dude
See User information
The difference between a 356 and the lates is the 356 has a bigger o.d.

Bob

Posted on: 2012/1/29 23:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Do you have the specs for each? Thanks

Posted on: 2012/1/30 18:12
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
I've "heard" that Kanter's hydraulic lifters are made in China, and therefore not worthy of being installed in a Packard.

Interesting statement.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 19:35
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved