Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 150

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 32 »

Re: Fun with used cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Never thought of top coating gray primer, but it works I guess.

Posted on: 2022/9/16 8:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Decided to take the trip of a lifetime and attend the PAC National in northern CA. Those folks did a terrific job and the week was full of one surprise and pleasure after another. Wine country, redwoods, ocean views, private collections, scenic drives and fascinating towns. And much more which you can read about elsewhere. Those folks worked their fingers to the bone to make a memorable week for us.

I shipped Clippy out to meet me with a fresh engine installed. The car is after all a glorified parts car enjoying its second childhood. Like many having a second childhood, he began to drink too much.....

Shipping was a royal pain and I don't want to talk about it, but the car did arrive unscathed.

Enjoyed driving all around and even crossed the Golden Gate near midnight. Sunday morning we loaded up and stated back across the country with stops at my favorite parks.

The old boy did 3695 miles and managed 16.6 mpg--the mileage really drops at speeds over 65. The only problem was a weepy radiator seam but the magic tablets took care of that. Points. Drum brakes. 6 volts.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_2069.JPG (339.97 KB)
618_64b14aff39e4e.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  IMG_2028.JPG (311.94 KB)
618_64b14b5f0577c.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  IMG_2255.JPG (334.38 KB)
618_64b14b97186fb.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2023/7/14 8:20
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Very cool Ross. Which route did you take across the country?

Are you planning on coming to PAC Meet in Wisconsin next year?

Posted on: 2023/7/14 8:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I wish they would hold a pac in southern ca.

Didn't feel like doing the drive.

How did it handle the 80. Colorado.. The rockys..

Posted on: 2023/7/14 9:31
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I wish we could have gone at least for the opening banquet and the swap meet but I am not a PAC member and haven't been for decades.

The last NorCal meet in Berkley at the Claremont Hotel was amazing too and even the Packard Request was there as was a beautifully restored Packard Pickup done when new by Earle C Anthony. My 1952 Henney-Packard, which was all original, won best in class for commercial vehicles beating out the pickup only because it was not originally built that way. While I was happy to win, I didn't think my car deserved it. Originally in the running for commercial was a 1941 Henney-Packard ambulance in red but after it suffered a small accident damaging a rear fender, the owner withdrew it from judging. Even with the damage, I am sure it would have won over mine any day and I would have been happy that it did so!

Posted on: 2023/7/14 11:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don, Berkeley was a good meet and also the last one I attended even though this one just over was the second in Calif since then. The first one several years ago in conjunction with SDC's meet and also in the Rohnert Park-Santa Rosa area I missed for whatever reason. Like Riki, on this one just didn't feel like making the trip and it is only half as far for me.

Don't remember your Henney at Berkeley or many of the other cars for that matter but the Request was probably one of the highlights of that show even though it did pick an inopportune time to get stuck in park. The owner was getting so frustrated for a few minutes I thought for sure the gearshift lever was a goner.

I do hope the NorCal people put out good driving instructions on this last meet. That was one thing the Berkeley meet kind of slipped up on although part was due to extenuating issues. As I recall, some got lost on the drive to wine country because some of the roads and places you needed to turn were labeled with locally familiar names no one not from the area would know rather than the actual highway or route numbers. There was also a construction area where signs had been removed. Anyway, everyone survived -- even if some arrived a bit late for the lunch -- and it was a good tour.

Posted on: 2023/7/14 12:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard, we probably bumped into each other there at some point! At the time, I was on PAC's board although I don't recall my position as I was at times a board member, secretary and vice president. Since I also edited the NorCal newsletter I was put to work laying out and printing all the menus, flyers etc. that were part of the event.

At the same time all this was going on I was in the midst of buying my first house with my agent being club member Doug Moore whose son Clint Moore is now the president. I've known Clint since he was a little boy.

I actually had two cars there with the 1952 Henney-Packard being one (and usually being driven by my best fiend Glenn who accompanied me as I hate to drive - he's the one I bought my current 1956 Clipper Custom from) and also my somewhat beat up teal and white 1953 Patrician being driven by a member from Australia whose name, unfortunately, I cannot remember. When he said he was attending, I told him he could use the Patrician for as long as he needed it as long as he gave it a shakedown with a list of needs as I had never driven it myself and had only completed the installation of a new engine just before the event. The engine was so new that it wasn't even stamped with the engine number!

Coincidentally, the 1952 Henney-Packard also ended up in Australia through a strange chain of events while the 1953 Patrician, last I saw, was in Texas.

Posted on: 2023/7/14 12:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I unfortunately also missed the Rohnert Park PAC National, too far to drive from the East Coast and I'm not up to flying these days. But I've been receiving many photos of the event and by all accounts it was just outstanding. One of the photos I received, taken by Stu Blond (and which I subsequently cropped) was of a 1940 180 by Bohman & Schwartz and I attach it here; what an elegant creation! I'm not sure I was even aware of this car's existence though I now understand it was featured in the Packard Club quarterly back in the 1970s.

Attach file:

jpg  1940 180 by Bohman & Schwartz.jpg (287.82 KB)
177_64b18a0c1dec5.jpg 1920X1040 px

Posted on: 2023/7/14 12:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I remember seeing photos of that car and quite different in nearly every way to the Darrins.

Posted on: 2023/7/14 13:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For being identified as a 40 the headlight treatment is interesting. Did the article say if the 41s had already been introduced and the car was a sleeker version using that styling or were they custom in fender headlights which become a precursor to the coming 41s.

Posted on: 2023/7/14 13:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 32 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved