Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 171

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Packard Request
Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Where will pictures of the Packard Request be found? I'm looking for head on front views and profile side views. There are a few on this site, but I've found none that fit the my needs. I would like to overlay the identical views of the Request and a 55 400.

Any help will be appreciated.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2010/12/18 18:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Request
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I must have several dozen, do these useful to you? They've probably been posted here before. Here's a frontal view, taken at Gettysburg National by myself. The 3/4 rear view is a photo by Mike Grimes. Any side view of a production 400 should serve your purpose for profile.

Attach file:

jpg  (204.09 KB)
177_4d0d420f378b5.jpg 1500X1125 px

jpg  (308.64 KB)
177_4d0d42bf0811a.jpg 1500X1125 px

Posted on: 2010/12/18 18:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
The pic's O_D showed can be found in this thread.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 19:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The Request already is an overlay on the '55 400 - not sure what you're trying to achieve.

Hood, grille, and bumpers are unique to the car, but side trim was borrowed from the Caribbean parts bins.

Posted on: 2010/12/18 23:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
I want direct head-on and profile views so that I can overlay a photo of a 55 400 to the same scale. The hood, grill and bumpers distinguish the Request. That overlay may tell me if it is feasible to attempt to duplicate it.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2010/12/19 1:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The car was done on the same shell. Why wouldn't it be feasible?

Seems like what you should be asking is how much?

Posted on: 2010/12/19 9:50
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
As The Request is one of my favorite show/concept cars of all-time and any brand, that sounds like and admirable undertaking.

It's certainly feasible in that the unique hood, grille and bumper simply bolted right up to a stock '55-400.

The first question is how closely you can duplicate those parts; then, at what cost.

There was a photogrammetry process I read about some years ago where you could take photos and turn them into 3D templates for panel/part fabrication. However, I believe you would need access to the actual Request to apply markers and get sufficient numbers of digital views.

Also, if you can find a copy, The Packard Cormorant magazine featured an excellent article on that car, shortly after it had been restored back in the mid-1970s, which you may find enlightening. It mentioned some interesting details like the plastic crest cast into the fiberglass hood, a section of 2x4 laminated into the hood panel as hinge reinforcement/tapping plate, etc.

However, you won't be the first person to attempt to build their own Request. Someone's incomplete work turned up for sale in Cars & Parts magazine a few years after the restored Request debuted. It wasn't so much a duplicate, an attempt to integrate a grille from a '37 or '38. I believe one of the Kanters owned this car at that time.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 10:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Bernardi, Pittsburgh isn't that far from Gettysburg and there were several folks from that area in Gettysburg last July. Unfortunate that you couldn't travel to Gettysburg, you could have had pretty much unfettered access to the Request for 3 or 4 days. You might consider contacting the current owner, I'd bet he'd be willing to allow you access to it at his facility or that at which the restoration is continuing.

Posted on: 2010/12/19 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
Pat Green - Why wouldn't it be feasible? If the cross members between the fenders must be modified or the radiator moved, it might be beyond my means.

BH - Thanks for the information. I'll try to track down a copy of the Cormorant to get more details.

Owen Dyneto - I was tied up when the Request was at Gettysburg and missed it. Any one know who the present owner is or how I might contact him?

This may turn out to be only a pipe dream, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thanks everyone for your help.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2010/12/21 16:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Owen Dyneto - I was tied up when the Request was at Gettysburg and missed it. Any one know who the present owner is or how I might contact him?

The car is currently in the Marano collection in Garwood, New Jersey. Mr Marano's contact information is listed in the PAC & CCCA membership directories, and his business has a website (Marano & Sons) which you can Google for such information.

Posted on: 2010/12/21 23:49
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved