Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: WGD carburator with a mind of its own
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
wouldn't know, I've always been a V8 guy but still would be a pressure issue with no reg.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 13:51
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeroen
See User information
well most of the time i use the electric fuelpump for startup, i dont know what psi it has, or any regulator, but i dont use it for driving.
I shut it down when the engine runs steady. it will take a while to know the packard, i only have this beauty for 5 weeks now, and the owners before me didnt seem to do much maintenance, could be the mechanical pump has too much pressure?

Posted on: 2011/2/2 14:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Jerome, The mechanical pump will probably not produce too much pressure but you might want to check the pressure. The vacuum gauge mentioned to check for vacuum leaks etc. can also be used as a fuel pressure gauge. Pressure should be in the 4-6 PSI range.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 17:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I was just about to ask the correct psi, 3-4 it seems for older carbs and 5-7 for newer according to random googling. I'll have to start mine and check the gauge. My gauge goes to 30 so it's hard to tell if it's on 3 or 5. Waiting for 0-15 psi gauge to get here, it's installed inline.

Mine is just SEEPING gas through and around the spacer MOSTLY after it starts shutting off. Making a mess of my beautiful manifolds! Thinking that the new mechanical pump is overpowering the needle and seat, because i didn't have this issue when i filled the carb by hand.

Got a new spacer (old one was gummed up and ugly anyways.) and gaskets, then i'll see what fuel pressure is.

Thinking something like this might be the answer to both of our issues, i'll hide mine down between the pump and the glass bowl filter so it's not obvious:

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/low-pressure-regulator.html

Posted on: 2011/2/2 19:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Also, i bought a replacement pump from MM for $125 (plus core). Was here in 2 days, and looked fantastic. Threw a coat of clear on it so it wouldn't tarnish over time and hooked it up. Wipers were apparently left on, just trying to roll it over they started working and about 5th to 6th revolution, i saw glass bowl filter start to fill, then she fired.

A trustworthy fuel pump on these cars cannot be overrated, like cooling the ultramatic. Just avoids drama and troubleshooting later on.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 19:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
This is all very helpful for the Duchess (40 Super 8). I did set the choke a little looser, but the manual says not usually more than 2 notches from the middle setting. But I hadn't considered the pressure, and I have a pressure gauge. So I will check that. And wondering... my fuel pump air line (new fuel pump), with new rubber hose, is not connected at the wiper end because the wipers aren't in yet.

Should that be plugged?

Also I'll adjust the idle and needle screws.

Posted on: 2011/2/14 20:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Vacuum line should be plugged otherwise it will be lean. Don't know if lean enough to not start although with choke closed, will be trying to pull a lot of air there so at the least will be rough and not run to Packard standards.

Posted on: 2011/2/14 21:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved