Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

History Question: Body Shops 1928-31
Just popping in
Just popping in

rdsieber
See User information
I was reading the Kimes Packard book in Ch. 20 (pp. 420-425) and was confused by what Packards were made where in the 5, 6, and 7 series, etc.

Addresses were given for the diff body shops. Packard std production, Custom Body, Dietrich, Inc, and Murray Body all produced the standard and semi-custom bodies. I think.

It seems that the 6-cyls and 8-cyls were separated to diff shops, but where did the Twin Sixes go for bodies?

I'm confused. Can anyone out there help? Maybe suggest a book ref?

thanks in advance,
rds

Posted on: 2011/2/8 11:15
 Top  Print   

Re: History Question: Body Shops 1928-31
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Believe by the time of the 5, 6, and 7 series the Twin Sixes were no longer in production and Twelve's were but a gleam in a Packard engineers eye.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 15:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
rdsieber, you will love --> that website!

Posted on: 2011/2/8 18:05
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

rdsieber
See User information
Thanks for the tip on the Coachbuilder's site. What a lot of work that was!

Posted on: 2011/2/21 8:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
In those days luxury car bodies were more or less hand made and could come from a variety of suppliers, even for the same year and make of car.

First, you could order a car with the factory supplied body. In some cases they were made by the car manufacturer, but in many cases they bought bodies from outside suppliers. These bodies were bought in batches of 50,100 or more. They were kept in the factory warehouse and could be painted and upholstered to the customer's taste, and suitable accessories added, while the car was being made.

The factory catalog could show body designs by several different body suppliers especially fancy styles like roadsters, convertibles and speedsters.

If a customer wanted something really special he could order a chassis and have it sent to his favorite body company and have a unique custom built car made to his own design.

Probably 80% to 90% of Packards had factory supplied bodies but there are the some with special bodies by LeBaron, Derham and other custom builders.

Posted on: 2011/2/21 9:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved