Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 96

John Sauser, Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1935-1947 Fuel Pump Heat Shield Mystery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I bought one of these and cannot find a factory photo of one. Supposedly the reason you don't see them on any cars (mine never had one) is because they were removed by lazy mechanics who didn't replace them because they thought they were unnecessary. I drove 300K miles without ever getting vapor lock (I once pushed a late model ---at the time--Cadillac that had vapor lock up Santa Cruz mountain hwy to get it started...we didn't have a cold grapefruit handy).. Went I tried to install the shield last night, there's no accommodation for air tube attaching to the manifold. I'm wondering if anyone has an original of one of these and how the tube is routed as original equipment. Or if anyone bought one of these and installed it, how did you route the tube. As some know, making flared tube is one of my favorite things to do.

Joe

Photo explanation. The upper right white tag is supposed to attach to the right hand bolt of the manifold, but the copper tube fron the fuel pump to the manifold, routed as it is in factory photos blocks it.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.70 KB)
1067_4d516d2cd9668.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/2/8 11:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 1935-1947 Fuel Pump Heat Shield Mystery
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Joe, I have forgotten, do you have a 356 engine in the car? Somewhere I thought you mentioned you had a 282 replacement. The fuel pump heat shields for the 356s are different than the 282s. I believe the heat shield you have is for a 356. The Super 8s ('40 - '47) used electric windshield wipers and a single fuel pump. It may have been only the senior Clippers (42-'47) that had this, I'll need to check. Anyway, this could be your problem.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/2/8 11:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
On my 50 (from a 53 motor) It connects to a bolt on the upper right where you have it, but the left end that's going down to the exhaust pipe connected to an arm that was connected to one fuel pump bolt (left one) and hung out with a screw to connect it to the head shield that's hanging in mid air waiting to catch it.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 11:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The one picture I see of a similar arrangement is out of 48-54 manual. Shows the tube going in front of shield. Don't know if that's the same engine or applicable to year you have.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.44 KB)
209_4d5174522af35.jpg 331X334 px

Posted on: 2011/2/8 11:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good information from cortcomp. I'll follow-up with a description of mine. The heat shield on my '47 Custom Clipper with the 356 engine (and single fuel pump) has a slotted tab that attaches to the front manifold bolt and another slotted tab that attaches to one of the exhaust manifold-exhaust pipe flange bolts. I hope this helps.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/2/8 11:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
No, but thanks, JW. Mine is a 356 (47-48 version). My car originally had vacuum wipers, but they don't work very well with a single pump. I have an electric wiper motor and apparatus, but with the double action, I think I'll stick with the vacuum wipers.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 15:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Lan'sakes, there are a lot of ways to skin a cat! The shield I have (according to instructions) bolts to that forward manifold fastener and the rear part bolts to the second valve-cover bolt. I think the picture is very applicable.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 15:42
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ineffabill
See User information
All I can say is my '41 356 (electric wipers-single pump) has the shield as HH56 shows. Top bracket mounts to the front exhaust manifold stud, & lower bracket goes to rear fuel pump bolt.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 16:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Fantastic, Bill. Same as Howard's. That's where it's going. One way or another. Thank goodness John Ulrich has a No Hassle Guarantee.

Posted on: 2011/2/8 16:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
The passion for thorough research is not everyone's forte. My workaround was to drill a 1/2" hole for the venturi tube. The shield is not made to attach at the fuel pump mounting bolt, but at the valve cover. Anyway, I'm calling it good. Thanks much for the direction.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.49 KB)
1067_4d52b8b644116.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/2/9 10:54
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved