Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 195

Andrew Sinclair, Owen_Dyneto, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

storing and working on a car
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

GREEN-ENGINE-BLOCK
See User information
I dont own a house. so I have no garage and no land. If I wanted to invest in a classic car, and work on it, what are my options. Are there low-cost garages for rent? Are there storage-unit facilities where you can store a vehicle, and they let you work on the vehicle?

Posted on: 2011/3/29 9:23
 Top  Print   

Re: storing and working on a car
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Not living in your immediate neighborhood, I can't answer your question. Contact the LOCAL Packard club or AACA club and ask some members who live in your region. They may be able to answer your query.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 10:46
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

papas34
See User information
I have had friends who rented storage garages with power that they have stored and rebuilt their cars in.....must make sure you are not breaking any rules with the landloard.
I have seen little shops that are just for this [there is one in my town] and there seems to be many car guys working together every time I drive by.
I have another friend who is in a car club that has their own shop and they get together every thursday just to work on their cars.....it is a bit expensive, but all the help is there as is the fellowship that makes cars fun.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 11:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Every community is different and Randy gives good advice about checking with the Packard club.

You might also look in the local paper to see if there are garages or garage space for rent. Many times an empty garage space is available from someone who no longer has a car and needs extra income-- although working on them in those conditions may be an issue. Some communities (or owners of space) don't even want to see a hood open on private or residential property.

Some entrepreneurs or car clubs in other communities have started a type of community garage where tools and space can be rented to the home mechanic. Not sure about long term storage with those operations but that might be an option as well although if it is club sponsored, you might have to be a member.

EDIT. I see someone beat me to the post with almost the same info. That's two areas a fair distance apart so why should Florida be different.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 11:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
There's a local family here in Portland, Oregon that built a pole barn for the purpose of renting spaces for car restoration. $150 a month with access to tools like a welder, english wheel, plasma cuter for a low fee. Also have a paint booth on premise.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 19:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
There are places that you can rent, they are meant for small business or personal use, that are set up for shops and storage. They are like big storage garages, but with full power and lighting. Search for rent-a-shop, garage/shop, workshop condos, shop storage or workshop rentals.

Here are a couple of sites that popped up for a Wisconsin search:

http://www.storageshopusa.com/

http://www.inside-storage-shop-condos.com/index.html

They are starting to spring-up all over. There might be some in your area.

Good Luck.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 23:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
One other option might be senior living centers. I know a lady who lives in a such a place with a garage, but she no longer drives so it was empty. She rents it out (I think $25/mo.) to a fellow with an old car. He just stores it there but I'm sure, if need be, he could work on it there too. If you're in the "land of seniors," something like that might be available. Just a thought...

Posted on: 2011/3/30 11:03
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I've known people who stored cars in rented garages for years. I knew somebody who had nice cars stashed all over in various rented garages and let them deteriorate. He actually liked the old car politics more than the cars. I also knew some people who went in partners owning cars and it worked out very well. I knew people who owned secret cars that they used for clandestine romances.

Florida has lots of storage units, but you have to like the car because of the rent. On the other hand Florida has lots of half empty garages owned by seniors. Perhaps a real estate agent has a listing. I have known seniors who liked having people using their garages because it scares away burglars. You could get lucky.

Posted on: 2011/3/30 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Without meaning this to be as rude as it sounds, if you can't figure this out for yourself, how do expect the find the parts and knowledge and suppliers needed to restore your car?

Posted on: 2011/3/31 22:34
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
patgreen wrote.....if you can't figure this out for yourself, how do expect the find the parts and knowledge and suppliers needed to restore your car?
This is where we, PackardInfo members, come in. PackardInfo is here to help Packard or potential Packard owners usually on mechanical or other aspects of owning, maintaining or restoring a Packard. But it's not necessarily limited to those aspects of our car of choice. Peripheral matters like storage and working space are not often covered in detail and in this instance, in asking for comments thoughts, advice and experience the replies given will assist our poster in researching a topic he has little knowledge of. By drawing on the collective wisdom, well at least the wisdom of those who respond, he'll be better equipped should he acquire a Packard, or other vehicle, at some future time.

Posted on: 2011/3/31 23:08
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved