Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
257 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 255

BigKev, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Starter Continues to Crank When Engine is Running
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I guess my point is that it would take some very dire circumstances before I'd even 'tap' the $225.00 (Max Merritt with core or $450.00 without) solenoid with a hammer. Especially since the situation can be resolved by cutting the power. I'm sure a light tap might cause a relay to stop relaying, a contact to stop contacting, a drive gear to slip back where it should be, or a spring to expand but I'd prefer not to possibly exacerbate a problem when I don't even know precisely what the problem is. It's just me.

Posted on: 2011/5/1 16:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dave (clipper47), thank you for putting it in words I should have used.

Dave (JD), while searching for a manual I found an offer for a starter, at least similar to yours. The asked price of $495.95 would made me as reluctant as you to work with hammer and crowbar. No harm meant!
The suggestions from Howard and Jason (startergenrebuilder) doubtless are steps in the right direction for a durable solution instead of treating the symptoms by emergency stop switches and physical force.

Click to see original Image in a new window

[picture and manual source:http://www.electricalrebuilders.org/techlib/tech_lib.php]

Attach file:

jpg  (24.16 KB)
757_4dbddc8c65039.jpg 712X334 px

Posted on: 2011/5/1 16:51
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Gush and Dave(JD), Totally agree. Emergency measures are not required or suggested in this situation and not one that I would resort to unless life threatening when concerning a Packard in any event!

Posted on: 2011/5/1 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

clipper47 wrote:
... I hate spending nights in the bush with a broken down truck when a hammer blow to a starter might get me home.

Dave, a hammer tap to the starter not the solenoid. I used to work in an auto electric shop where we rebuilt starters and generators (pre-alternator period). When bench testing our rebuilt units we would just lightly tap the body of the starter or generator to relive stress from assembly. The higher and smoother speed could easily be witnessed.

Also, a light tap on the body of a stuck heater-defroster motors will many times get them going again.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/2 11:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
Yikes! Seems as though it would be easy for it to be bumped back into "stress" mode. What kind of stresses were you relieving?
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
www.aerrebuild.com

Posted on: 2011/5/2 14:14
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
A tap is not a bludgeon. This trick has been used for years, on carbs (and other parts) that without would have been unnecessarily disassembled.

Posted on: 2011/5/2 14:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Tapping with a hammer which sometimes means using the wooden handle end of the hammer to tap with IS an acceptable form of diagnostics and temporary "fix".

This is one of those classic 'fixes' that everyone does but noone really wants to admit to. KInd of like discussing gas mileage, sex life and littering.

Of course noone is a litter bug except ME!!! And all of that litter out there across the world is my fault.

SO apparently a hammer is just an extraneous tool in everyones tool box???? Either that or there are a lot of people that really don;t know use a hammer and probably shouldn;t let alone any other tool in the tool box.

What's the dealeo anyway??

Posted on: 2011/5/2 21:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The saga continues. During a few days of rain when I couldn't work on priority 1 (new patio) I got the starter out of the '49. This particular Auto-Lite starter that cranks the 356 engines is an odd duck.

1. When the starter receives power from the carburetor start switch a small electro-magnet pulls a hinged contact down which in turn...
2. Completes a circuit to a very powerful electro-magnet that causes a piston to be pulled in.
3. The piston is attached via a lever to a sliding gear that moves to engage the flywheel...
4. As the piston 'bottoms out' it pushes a button at the end of the cylinder shaft which...
5. Causes a copper washer to slam against the ends of the large copper bolts completing the heavy duty circuit from the battery to the starter motor.
6. The starter commences to turn over.

Rube Goldberg would be envious!

I cleaned all the moving parts and electrical contacts that are even remotely involved in controlling the power to the starter motor. lubed the parts that needed lubing. Cleaned the case, scraped off the paint and re-painted it.

I re-assembled the starter and bench-tested all the components one at a time. They all checked out. No sticking, no shorts. Then I tested the whole process together. The starter always stopped when the current was removed from the small primary electro-magnet. Twenty-five starts / stops without a hiccup.

So... I'm thinking I either have a short in the wiring between the carburetor/ignition switch and the starter
(as suggested by Tim Cole), or... something mechanical is preventing the springs from retracting the drive gear when it's actually in contact with the flywheel (I think this is unlikely).

Next step, re-install in the car and see what happens. Will let you know.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.19 KB)
188_4e17dbb9545c0.jpg 576X432 px

jpg  (26.84 KB)
188_4e17dbe5077f1.jpg 576X432 px

jpg  (27.99 KB)
188_4e17dbff0e314.jpg 576X432 px

Posted on: 2011/7/8 23:46
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

custom8
See User information
I have been reading your msg regarding running starter...my 48 custom8 has recently exhibited the same problem.It has occurred 5 times in the last 2 years. I also remove the batt cable to solve the problem.I am anxiously awaiting the solution...Just to let you know we're out here..Thanks Dick

Posted on: 2011/7/10 18:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Dick, were you able to eliminate the carburetor switch as the culprit? It seems that it is the most common cause of the problem. Unfortunately, it appears my problem lies elsewhere. While I have your attention... could you consider adding your '48 Custom to the Owner's Registry here? You can add as much or little detail as you wish. It's always nice to be able to see the car under discussion.

Posted on: 2011/7/11 8:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved