Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 134

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Maybe on trail of 1933 V12
Just popping in
Just popping in

msfowler
See User information
Gonna need some help.
Is there a registry of original owners?
This particular car is supposed to have been a Vanderbilt car.
I would love to be able to document that.
I haven't seen it, so I can't speak to condition, or even body style. I hope to visit an record the appropriate numbers and get a few pics.

Posted on: 2011/5/1 14:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Maybe on trail of 1933 V12
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day msfowler,
See you've been a PackardInfo member for a while, but first post, so There aren't any '33 Twelves in the Packard Owners Registry here on PackardInfo but maybe the roster keepers in PAC or PI would be able to assist?

And speaking of the Packard Owners Registry, if you purchase the car would you be so kind as to include it there? If not, any pictures you'd care to share would be most appreciated.

Posted on: 2011/5/1 15:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is there a registry of original owners?

Not that I'm aware of. There is some reasonably complete data on the original owners of Packards thru about 1903; thereafter it's not accessible information other than thru individual owners, as far as I'm aware.

I'd strongly suggest you start some inquiries with the curators of the various Vanderbilt properties. Based on a couple of contacts and visits to the Vanderbilt property in Hyde Park NY some years ago, they had extensive information on the family vehicles at that site.

Posted on: 2011/5/1 17:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Many of the Vanderbilt family cars were painted the family color which they called Vanderbilt Maroon. Prior to that the carriages were painted that color and through the years the drivers/chauffeurs, footmen etc wore maroon outfits.

I own a '53 Ca****ac ( swear word here?) formal limousine with the owners card under the hood reading Margaret Emerson Vanderbilt. Painted Vanderbilt maroon. Seh was an aunt of fellow Packard Owner from the south Emerson Duke who some of you might know.

Posted on: 2011/5/1 20:23
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

msfowler
See User information
Thank you all for the responses.
This car is way out of my league. I just heard about it thru a friend at church. Latest rumor is that it was offered to Jay Leno, but he declined as " he already had one".
The rumored value has also escalated--how its up to " a million dollar car" with the disclaimer " when its fixed up".
From what I've read, unless it is a custom-bodied vehicle with a documented history, that value seems high.
At this point, the information is too sketchy, and the stories too glorious to seem credible.
However, as time and circumstances change, I will post back anything I discover.
People who are not involved in old cars too often see $$$$ and have no idea of the time and cost to restore, or even if restoration is the best route.

Posted on: 2011/5/2 4:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I understand this color is close to Vanderbilt Maroon. This particular car (by Rollston) not known to me to be a Vanderbilt car, however I'd guess it would have been their kind of vehicle. Photo by this writer at the Burn Foundation (Lehigh Univ) Concours d'Elegance some years back.

Attach file:

jpg  (126.23 KB)
177_4dbed2523d96d.jpg 1200X815 px

Posted on: 2011/5/2 10:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved