Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 234

DJP-37-120, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Edmunds head
Just popping in
Just popping in

Looznutz
See User information
Ok I'm a young gun(Well not so young 38!!)and a new bee here. I might get some flak but here it goes. I have a 1951 327 straight eight. I just bought a Edmunds two barrel intake for it. On Ebay there is a Edmunds re-po head but the head is for the early 356. Are the newer 356 parts interchangeable with the older 356? I would greatly appreciate the answers I get. The motor is going into my '27 model T street rod. I know it should go in to a packard but I decided that there were to many Chevy and Ford engines out there in the street rodding world and wanted to be different. I have McCulloc VS57 for it as well. This is going to be one sweet Model T. To the hardcore restorers my apologies. Thanks Ed.

Posted on: 2008/2/5 5:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Edmunds head
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Young whipper snapper's thinking they can hot rod a Packard, huh? SACRILEGE!!

Posted on: 2008/2/5 12:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
Young whipper snapper's thinking they can hot rod a Packard, huh? SACRILEGE!!

I agree Eric, sacrilege! But youth is such a wonderful thing - pity mine is so far behind me now @ 61! And I would be interested to see pic's of the T.

But back to Ed's question - I believe the early 356 engine is different from the later 327/359 engines so the head won't fit. The experts might like to confirm my thoughts.

Posted on: 2008/2/5 14:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It's my understanding that the 356 head, intake, and exhaust manifolds will interchange with the 288/327/359 engines. However, I do not have experience in doing so. I plan on using the stock cast iron head when I twin-turbo the 327/359 when I find one... The cast iron head is stronger, and doesn't move as much as the aluminum one does.

Posted on: 2008/2/5 21:32
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just a note on the OEM aluminum head compared to the new production Aluminum heads. From talking to some of the reprodution places, the Aluminum heads they make today do not exibit as much head related expansion and are far stronger that the OEM aluminum heads. I guess it a difference in the alloys and heat treatment that is done with the newer heads.

Posted on: 2008/2/5 22:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Looznutz
See User information
Hey turbo man when you say cast head it is not the regualar head that the engine comes with right? If it is not how would I tell the difference? Just asking just in case I get a definate answear on the head and in case I win the auction I could sell you mine If you are interested of course. I will try and post pictures of my Model T when I get it rolling. Thanks for your help guys. Ed.

Posted on: 2008/2/6 3:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
There were several different heads on the later straight eights, each with different compression ratios, which is why you see "288 AT 327 MT" on the top. The 359 had an aluminum head in '54 only. I have several heads, and when the time comes, I will cc' them all and report the differences here on this forum. And yes, I mean the regular head that comes on the engine.

Posted on: 2008/2/6 3:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved