Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 207

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Distributor Cap
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Purchased an Echlin RR158 distributor cap for my 1954 Packard Clipper Super L8cyl 327ci 165hp from NAPA. The RR158 part number is the one mentioned in the Packard Parts X-Ref on this site. When installed, seems like the rotor is hitting the contacts rather abruptly causing a loud pinging sound. I immediately uninstalled the new rotor cap and put on the old one. Does anyone else use this part number in their car or a different distributor cap part number? I looked at the old cap and could not find a part number on it.

Thanks Again

Posted on: 2011/5/15 14:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Distributor Cap
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The rotor you used is one of the combinations on Napa's website so unless you got a faulty component, it should work. There are two rotors listed as compatible and they are different. You might go to their website and compare to your original.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.15 KB)
209_4dd02f51b16c2.jpg 333X220 px

Posted on: 2011/5/15 14:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
According to the Echlin parts page, RR158/RR159 is the correct combination for a '54 Packard Delco.

Attach file:

jpg  (96.55 KB)
188_4dd03192b85cf.jpg 1136X590 px

Posted on: 2011/5/15 15:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
No such thing as a faulty component which would cause it to hit. WE've sold 10,000 components and never encountered one with incorrect dimensions. Having sorted out a gazillion caps and rotors I realized the the designs since the mid-30's are quite ingenious. Caps have a certain mounting diameter anda keyway so you can't install the wrong one on your distributor. Rotors have keyways and other dimensions that do the same. Autolite, Delco, Motorcraft etc either collaborated or watched closely.

Perhaps you did not install the cap on straight, but then the clips may not reach the detents. The cap or rotor should have indication of interference.

Posted on: 2011/5/15 16:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Not in my experience. Did you by any chance get water in one of the spark plug wells? That will definitely mess up things. Just a little bit of water around the plug will cause it to misfire.

Posted on: 2011/5/23 22:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved