Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 72

oldguy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Anyone familiar with this car?
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Tim Cole,

Thanks for the info, but I didn't pose any questions are make any statements pertaining to these cars or issues. However by coincidence I do have information on both cars you mention.

Bill Hirsch's car was a '55 and he sold it to Harry Fick of Sag Harbor Long Island who contacted us in the late 60's. It was sitting outside , tires flat, and the bottom edge of the body was swiss cheese. We passed on it.

Ken Fahenstock's car was a '56 Caribbean hardtop which if my memory serves me correctly was Maltese Gray with a Dover white stripe. We bought it in the late 70's, it was very tired and rusty under the padded top. Do not recall if it had wires, really immaterial. We disassembled it for parts.

The above is to the best of my recollection.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 19:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
Wire wheel covers were NOT standard on Caribbeans. They came with regular wheels just like any other Senior Packard.
Only options for Caribbean were AC and wire wheels - everything else was standard.

Wire wheels AND wire wheel covers were options? The terms are only slightly different, but the parts are very different.

Fred, I had no idea that the wire wheel covers were that rare. I wonder how rare they were as options, and if they were only optional on the Carib.

As far as the original topic of this thread, I do know two things about it: the A/C is dealer installed with "in-the-trunk" cooling unit. The wheels are wire, not covers.

Posted on: 2011/5/27 22:17
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Wire wheels and (fake) wire wheel covers were available on all 55-6 cars except 55 Clippers with 11" brakes( 4 1/2" bolt circle). The obvious reason wire wheel covers are scarce is that few people bought them. They are fake, they look fake, that's not what Packard people are about I guess.
OOPS!!
I'm sure some of the above is incorrect, used memory instead of parts book/accessory brochures. Will research soon

Posted on: 2011/5/28 15:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Fred -

You wrote:

Quote:
Wire wheels and (fake) wire wheel covers were available on all 55-6 cars except 55 Clippers with 11" brakes( 4 1/2" bolt circle).

I disagree with your assessment of the availability of wire wheels on the 55-56 cars - namely, Clippers. The 55-56 parts book lists wire wheel equipment only for 5580 (which includes body 5588) and 5680-88 - that is, Seniors only.

The parts book further shows that drums, axles, and stock wheels differ between Junior and Senior lines of their respective years. That suggests all the Clippers (and Exec) would have had the same bolt circle, which is smaller than that of the Senior cars.

Perhaps you are confusing the 11- vs. 12-inch brake matter with the 54th Series.

Posted on: 2011/5/28 19:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
To shed a little more light on the '54 difference..... Only Super Clippers, and I believe some of the Henney Juniors used the larger 12" brakes which were a carry over from the '53 model year. '54 Clipper Specials, Deluxes and '55s used the same 11" drums and smaller bolt pattern.

More information can be found here:

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/STB/54T-1.pdf

Posted on: 2011/5/28 19:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
BH

I think I made some errors on wire wheel etc fitment. Realizing that they don't make a hard drive to expand my memory and I must be using fuzzy logic. Will research on Tues. Thanks for the heads up.
fred

Posted on: 2011/5/29 21:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved