Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 230

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

bead roller
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Has anyone used these? Many out there and all seem to be of similar design and capacity but prices all over the map. I want to flange some material which is too long for my sheet metal brake.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.42 KB)
209_4dde6c160ef05.jpg 556X429 px

Posted on: 2011/5/26 10:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: bead roller
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I love mine and use it for all sorts of sheet metal projects. A rolled in bead or step takes only moments and makes the most humble piece of work look quite professional. People look at pieces on my pickups and ask how I ever got those beads in the metal. Its almost embarassing to tell them how easy it goes, and how cheap the machine was.

If you end up using it a lot, you will want to trash the crank and replace it with a large handwheel, or even an old Packard steering wheel. My machine is now mounted on a stand consisting of a pipe upright welded to an old Packard wheel filled with concrete.

Posted on: 2011/5/26 11:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ross wrote:......My machine is now mounted on a stand consisting of a pipe upright welded to an old Packard wheel filled with concrete.
Ross,

Any chance of a pic?

Posted on: 2011/5/26 15:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Martin's Auto Body Resto
See User information
That picture is a woodward fab. or HF bead roller. These work so-so as is, but with a little modification can be much better. The first thing is that there is to much flex in the plate steel under pressure. I welded square tubbing to mine to stiffen it up and works much better. I also made a tipping wheel for mine and as Ross said get rid of the crank handle and put a steering wheel on it. I used a steering wheel of of an old cub cadet and works well. The problem with the crank is, that if you end your bead, flange or whatever with the crank handle in the upright possition, the weight of it wants to bring it down to the 6 o'clock position with gravity, and makes it hard to control with only one person on some parts your trying to make. All in all, this tool is a must have in my shop.

Posted on: 2011/5/27 18:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks all, for the feedback. I think I'll spring for this inexpensive one. I don't expect to use it for more than one or two jobs so it should hopefully get thru those. I'll take the advice and see about making the changes. With luck it might even work for three pieces--which is probably how long it will take to figure it out and get one that is serviceable.

Posted on: 2011/5/27 19:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Here's a pic, as per request. Mine came from Horrible Freight. I also added a movable fence for longer runs as I am hopeless holding anything straight. The machine has WAY paid for itself.

Attach file:

jpg  (136.85 KB)
618_4de0628909e31.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2011/5/27 21:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
for the pic Ross. Presume it was used in fabricating panels for the Packup in the background?

Posted on: 2011/5/27 22:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Martin's Auto Body Resto
See User information
Here is mine

Attach file:

jpg  (97.17 KB)
3676_4de6bdab76812.jpg 1200X1600 px

jpg  (92.51 KB)
3676_4de6bdc363d4e.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2011/6/1 17:31
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FoMoCoPower
See User information
AS-IS the HF bead rollers are horrible. They flex way too much. But they are a good basis for modifying by srengthening.

Posted on: 2011/6/1 22:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved