Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 202

Don B, Ross, BigKev, BDeB, Charles, jon, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Trans fluid change
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Hi, I too have a problem with the transmission of my 55 400. It slips when cold then after warming up is OK. I also have a slight leak though not sure where it is coming from. I am currently running Dexron II and after reading this thread I am thinking of draining it cleaning the filter and trying a fill of B & M trick shifter, do you think this may cure this problem..? Has anybody on the forum tried Lucas transmission fix..? it is supposed to cure leaks and help slipping transmissions but I haven't heard any reports as to if it works or not.

Posted on: 2008/2/14 5:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
packarddaveuk -

I've never tried Lucas trans-fix in a Packard. I've hear good things about that product from those who tried it in other cars, but not so much lately. Perhaps the formula has changed (and not necessarily for the better).

IMHO, you have nothing to lose with draining the Dexron and refilling with another compatible type of fluid. Unless you have compeeling need to remove and rinse the filter screen, a fluid change is easily accomplished thanks to the drain plug in the trans pan (same as plug and gasket as the engine oil pan, IIRC).

I don't buy into most leak-fix products. An old mechanic's trick was to add a little brake fluid, which causes seals to swell. I don't know how much you'd have to add, though, because I never tried it. Stuff like that only buys you a little time.

Posted on: 2008/2/14 8:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Packarddaveuh writes: "I was thinking of changing out the trans fluid in my 56 pat even tho it shifts properly and it doesn't smell burned or discolored. I've had it 3 years and don't know when it was changed or what routine service was done prior to my acquiring it."

I'm not sure what your problem is. LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

Unless u have some reason to believe the trans fluid has become contaminated , like maybe the car sat in water up to its headlites or something like that, then there is NO reason to change the fluid.

Trans fluids (stick or auto), axle grease, and radiator coolant "regular changes" are an automotive fallacy. I have vehicles here NOW aswell as morethan i can count on all of my fingers and toes that i have ran well over 100K miles and as long as 20 years and NEVER changed the trans, axle or radiator fluids. When service required draining i usually put the old fluids back in ESPECIALY antifreeze. Of course ENGINE oil and filter is a completely different issue. Antifreeze should be checked with a hydrometer EVERY fall.

I'm using Dexron and Dexron/Mercon in my 56 T'ultra now for 20K miles and 8 years with NO problems. In fact, i buy the CHEAPEST i can find at a local "dollar" store.

Posted on: 2008/2/14 23:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I would have a hard time letting anything Lucas touch a Packard

Posted on: 2008/2/15 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
I understand the reasoning for not changing out the fluid if you never have a problem or you don't go boating "literally" with your Packard. On the other hand if you don't know the history of the vehicle, like what exactly is the fluid in the trans and when was it put in there. And if it gets low do you just put in Dexron or Mercon or ATF, regardless of what is already in there. Are all trans fluids compatible with each other and can be mixed without knowing what you are mixing together. If you can't or shouldn't mix different types it could present a problem if you're on the road (long ways from the stable) and the trans needs a few pints of fluid and you don't know what is in the tranny.

Posted on: 2008/2/15 20:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

MrPushbutton wrote:
I would have a hard time letting anything Lucas touch a Packard

Mr PB, I would think that Lucas electrics with a notorious reputation should have little relation to how Trans Fluids should perform. The other side for packarddaveuk is the UK ready availability or not of the US products referred to in the posts.

Posted on: 2008/2/15 20:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well Keith I can't agree with you about Coolant or Transfluid working for a lifetime. Thats like saying motor oil doesnt need to be changed.

Both are subjected to heat, the transfluid to moving parts, and just like motor oil that tends to cause them to both break down in stucture and functionality over time. Plus even the best transmission filter is never going to keep all the small bits of particulate wear out of the system.

I think the safe bet is to follow the recommended change schedule. After as we are talking about $10-$20 in fluids. No sense being penny wise and pound foolish when in comes to to something so cheap, than can caused very expensive problems if not taken care of.

Posted on: 2008/2/15 21:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Mal, You are corect the Lucas additive I referred to is a US product which is available here and nothing to do with Lucas electrics UK.
I have been occasionally topping up with Dexron II due to the slight leak I have and I am not sure what the trans was originally filled with from when I bought the car in 2003.
Regular Dexron and ATF fluids are readily available and I found a place which stocks B&M trick shift both original and synthetic types so I was thinking of drainig my trans and starting afresh with a fill of B&M to see if it would help the cold slipping problem I have...
Also got an engine rattle on one cylinder (not sure which one yet)which I am hoping is a lifter problem but that's maybe another story....

Posted on: 2008/2/15 23:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
Question? Where can you find a new gasket for the tranny, fluid pan when it is removed to permit cleaning the filter,etc. Or do you use permatex or ?

Posted on: 2008/2/19 15:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
for Packard gaskets and kits:
http://www.ultramaticdynamics.com/

Posted on: 2008/2/19 16:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved