Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Unable to Start Engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Well, here it goes again on the 1954 Packard Clipper Super!

Set the dwell angle to 28deg with a dwell meter car ran ok but a tiny bit rough (L8 327ci 165hp engine).

Checked the timing with a timing light..a tiny bit off after setting the dwell, so I went to adjust it a tiny bit.

After loosening the set screw and moving the distributor a tiny bit, could not get the car to start. Tried several adjustments of the distributor to get the timing to where the car would start..no luck.

A neighbor came over to help me push the car into the garage..he did a cursory check of disconnecting the coil wire from the top of the distributor cap. He held the wire against a grounded part of the engine compartment while I cranked the starter...no spark produced. Seems to indicate the coil isn't putting out a spark.

Does a coil fail suddenly in this fashion? Could I have damaged it while setting the dwell? (I bumped the distributor cam with the ignition switch quite a few times to get high point of the cam lobe in the correct spot).
Thanks Again!

Posted on: 2011/6/5 12:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Unable to Start Engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you remove the small coil electrical ground wire going from distributor terminal to coil terminal at the distributor and scratch that against the block do you get a spark. If so, look for something shorting or not closing inside the distributor when you readjusted the dwell.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 12:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Does a coil fail suddenly in this fashion? Could I have damaged it while setting the dwell?

No, or if it did it would an EXTREMELY rare occourance, and no.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 12:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
The points opening and closing cause the coil to fire, build up a charge and re-fire over and over and over. More than likely the point gap needs to be checked, and reset if needed. Usually, when something stops working like you describe, go back and check the last thing you worked on. Stuff like this has happened to all of us. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 14:45
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I'll wager you will find that you somehow got a bit of grease or something on the points and they have oxidized over and are not conducting. File em.

Truth to tell, I don't hardly trust most dwell meters. Set them babies to a snug .016" and you will have ignition happiness.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 16:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve828
See User information
Thanks to all. I will try all these suggestions when I get some days off from work and cool off from the frustration of dealing with the ignition problems on this car. As soon as I get it squared away I will probably go for a pertronix electronic ignition. PS, in the mean time, I think I may have the incorrect condenser part installed...I suspect that may be part of my rough idle problems too. I have a NAPA Echlin RR175 part number in the 1954 Delco distributor for my L8 and looks like maybe it should be the NAPA Echlin RR174 or the Autozone U1511. I don't know how I got that RR175 part....maybe the sales guy at NAPA conjured it up for me. If anyone can confirm the right condenser for my '54 Delco distributor that would be great. I try to keep getting smarter..it's hard for an old guy.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 19:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved