Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 214

Ross, todd landis, CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1949 Muffler
Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
Last time I started up the Packard, I noticed an odd sound that I never heard before on this car. It was obviously something with the exhaust and when I listened, the engine kept bogging down. Turns out there is a hole in my muffler. Anybody know where I can get a new aluminumized one for a decent price. I've already checked E-bay. Thanks!

Posted on: 2011/6/12 17:03
J.R. Buzzell

1949 23rd Series Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 Muffler
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
J.R.
If you are not pickey about authenticity a muffler for a 70's Ford 6 cyl pick up will work very well. It will require a extension on either the front or back of the muffler. I did this on my 49 Deluxe 8 sedan with the 288 and overdrive years ago and have had no problems in the last 30,000 miles. the muffler is still doing it's job and it was a huge cost savings. I love those bathtub Packards.

Posted on: 2011/6/12 19:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Check Hemmings-someone has an ad in the Packard section for exhaust. I purchased a tailpipe but was unable to install it

Posted on: 2011/6/13 10:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Waldron's Exhaust has a good reputation and is known to be reasonably priced. They advertise regularly in Hemmings. You might give them a try. Remember, it's a straight-thru design so if you want to pick something from a modern vehicle which is internally baffled, you may be adding some backpressure which possibly can lead to overheating and eventually to exhaust valve wear.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 11:03
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The complete exhaust I got from Keipich fit like a glove, dropped right in. It took me longer to remove the old one, then it did to install the new one. Must make sure to either order clamps with it, or have new ones on hand.

Posted on: 2011/6/13 11:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
Great! Thanks guys!

Posted on: 2011/6/14 11:27
J.R. Buzzell

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=867
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information
Okay, now a question when buying. Can I buy a Super or Custom 8 exhaust or are those specific to the bigger engines? I can't seem to find anything for Deluxe 8.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 11:37
J.R. Buzzell

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The Supers and Customs use larger size exhaust and tail pipes than the Junior cars.

You could use reducing bushings to have the muffler's larger inlet and outlet fit your exhaust and tail pipes, that is if the muffler length is the same.

Bushings can be made from short pieces of the proper size steel tubing, and they are also available at most auto parts stores.

You could use two straight through mufflers connected together in place of the one long one. A muffler shop should be able to fit them to your Packard.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/6/14 11:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

J.R. Buzzell
See User information

Posted on: 2011/6/14 16:14
J.R. Buzzell

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
They make to order and it says NOT for a Custom or Super. So I think that should work. I think others here have bought from Classic Exhaust (the ebay seller). So I will let them chime in.

Posted on: 2011/6/14 16:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved