Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 242

John Sauser, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Considering purchase of a '55 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Hey Guys,

I'm considering purchasing this 1955 400 hardtop. The winning bidder didn't come through and I'm being offered a 2nd chance bid.

Read the description and tell me what you think. It looks like with the exception of the Torsion leveling system, it won't take much to make it a good "driver".

I don't know much about the 55's. What say you?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270760719314&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDWX%3AIT

Posted on: 2011/6/15 9:16
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Re: Considering purchase of a '55 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Contours at the bottom of the car indicate that extensive rust repair has been done. Beware as it might be beer cans and bondo. Would not buy this one without looking at it. But I see the auction is over. Did you do the deed?

Posted on: 2011/6/15 9:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I looks like a decent start of a project. A few things are amiss but doesn't appear too major as long as there is no big rust. As to the TL, that could be as simple as a fuse or switch to something as drastic as the compensator assy. Leave the options open on that until you can get it checked out. Hopefully, someone familiar with the unit is close to you or else ask and read lots before tearing into it if you are not.

The 55 Twin Ultra was not known for it's robustness and manners but if the fixes and attention to details were done over time, then it should serve reliably well.

I'm sure you've been following the various BTV discussions so not much more can be said there other than go thru the brakes from stem to stern.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 9:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Ross,

I didn't do it yet, I was the 2nd highest bidder in that auction and he's saying the person who won hasn't been reachable and he's looking to offer me a 2nd chance bid. Its in Chicago area so I haven't seen the car. Mayve I should hold out for something closer.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 9:47
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Your bid would (IMHO) be a very good deal on a '55 400 but I too would be suspicious of rust. If there is filler above the headlights... you have to wonder how much rust has occurred along the bottom edges of the body panels and how it was repaired.

Also in regard to the T/L... the phrase: "The previous owner attempted to fix the problem before I purchased the car, but he had no luck." is a little scary not knowing what was 'attempted'.

I wouldn't commit to that car without seeing it (with a magnet in my pocket). Very tempting price though.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 10:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Excellent advice given by everyone above. Nothing i can think of to add. As HH56 points out the TL problem is most likely just electrical, no big dealeo. The brake problem indicates a complete inspection is needed.

PAY close attention to RUST or repaired rust areas!!!!!!

Since it is not really driveable but u can hear the engine run it's about a $2k to maybe $3k car ASsUMING minimum rust.

If it's real rusty/extensive 'repaired' rust then i would avoid it for anything other than just a parts car or maybe just a fun driver car.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 10:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
" The winning bidder didn't come through and I'm being offered a 2nd chance bid."

Be careful on that kind of a deal when u can't see the car for yourself. Very likely the 'winning bidder' was nothing more than a Bid-Buyer. Check any eBay history on the car in "Completed Listings" section of eBay. Unfortunately Craigslist does not have a history list to check.

Posted on: 2011/6/15 10:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
FWIW this car was previously listed some time back and the owner was adamant about getting $6,500, so it seems like he has to some extent seen reason.

I have not seen this car, but I live just a few miles from it. If we can work out a schedule, I would be amenable to picking you up at O'Hare and dropping you back there. If you can get a reasonable flight. it seems like the right thing to do.

I am not offering to go look at the car for you, because I am not capable of correctly assessing the problems. I would be willing to go take some hires photos of any problem spots I can see, if that would help.....

My car has the same color scheme, which inho is tops......

Posted on: 2011/6/18 23:15
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ralph M Bohm
See User information
Does anyone kno0w whateveer became of this sale? I read among the posts that this whole thing seemed a little suspect.

Posted on: 2011/7/17 1:40
Most Sincerely,

Ralph M Bohm, N5WPG
truckmen @gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
That exact car is on eBay again! Same ad, same condition, pictures as well. I guess the car didn't sell...

Posted on: 2011/7/17 10:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved