Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 55 with a straight 8. weird
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Note that it does have a 54-earlier steering wheel and probably the whole column which would resolve the gearshift linkage problem.

Posted on: 2011/6/18 2:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
Putting the I8 engine in is one thing. There isn't enough money to get me to try to make the '55 column shift link up with a '54 side shift box.

jack vines

Jack,
This may be the very reason that the steering wheel and column were changed. The way it's set up, it has '54 column shift linkage mated to '54 manual trans.

Got to admit, it might not be correct, but it has a marque correct engine and trans installed, albeit an earlier one. If the straight 8 is in good shape, I bet it's smoooothe. Wonder how the extra weight is handled. I'd think that would be a challenge, as well as mounting.

I wonder how difficult it would be to do a reverse mod at some time. Drive the car as an oddity, then switch it back to stock. Didn't notice if it had overdrive, but if it does, and a stock '55 rear end, I bet that straight 8 can just loaf along at highway speeds.

Not the worst conversion idea I've ever seen, by a long shot.

Posted on: 2011/6/19 17:40
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Randy,

Way to sneak in there!

Posted on: 2011/6/19 17:41
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Guscha,

I have been looking for pictures. I have not found them, yet. There MAY have been an article in one of the PAC newsletters.

Jeff in Kansas City, do you have any pictures that you can post?

Henry, came across pictures of your grandparents at the Minnesota PAC meet, and David Grubbs saw you at the Salado meet a few years back.

Posted on: 2011/6/20 15:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
would love to have the pictures! and i remember meeting him at Salado a few years back.

i have the block at the machine shop will let you know soon if it is good and send you some money for it. they are supposed to mag/flux it before they press on with it.

thanks for being patient.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/6/20 15:31
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...I have been looking for pictures. I have not found them, yet. There MAY have been an article in one of the PAC newsletters...

Let the ride decide, thanks anyway!

Posted on: 2011/6/20 16:02
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
I bet there is some serious firewall mods that had to be made to make it fit.

I don't know. The pre-'55 models had the same basic body shell, so I wonder if the distance from firewall to radiator would be about the same?

Posted on: 2011/6/25 22:36
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe there may be a combination of shortening in V8 engine compartments. Cowl might be a slight bit forward because of windshield but radiator is further back. The engine is nestled in the cowl area hump about the same amount as an older 8 but if you compare the upper radiator splashers, the 55-6 is quite a bit deeper and flatter than the earlier.

Posted on: 2011/6/25 23:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff
See User information
Interesting topic - sorry I haven't added to it with my photos yet. I do have a pic or two of Bob Aller's '54 equipped with the V-8, but I haven't been able to uncover them yet. Sad to say that my pics are somewhat jumbled after 3 moves in the last 10 years. The Packard that Bob installed the V-8 in is a very slick job. I don't recall the entire story, but the engine itself is a very early build, and was installed either at the end of the 54th Series run, or right at the launch of the 55th Series. As an employee with connections, Bob was able to have this done as a more-or-less sanctioned swap. The work may have been done in the shop at Jack Beebe Packard (formerly Reid-Ward), the Zone HQ here in KC. A look at the engine bay would make you think that it was actually assembled that way. The engine fits perfectly fine, with likely only minor mods. But as someone said above, to go the other way and install a 327 or 359 in a 55th Series would be tricky. I would like to compare the linear space between firewall and radiator in a stock version of both. That Str8-8 is crazy long!

As soon as I have the pics, I'll put them up for everyone. And if I can find the whole story, I'll post that as well. It may have been printed in an old issue of The Data Plate, our newsletter here.

Bob Aller Papers are still for sale, by the way! I am about to authorize a 3rd run.

Posted on: 2011/7/2 16:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Yes, please search for those photos, we would all love to see them. I had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Bob Aller at the last Salado Meet he was able to attend. A bit off topic, but I have always thought a 1951-54 junior 2-door sedan with a Packard V-8 would be a great "Hot Rod". The car would be better balanced too because the V-8 would be weight biased towards the middle. Radius the rear wheel openings, a la 1953 Caribbean, and you would have a neat car. Ross, are you listening? Take care and enjoy the 4th!

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/7/2 18:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved