Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 160

Tobs, Ozstatman, Packardbarry, R H, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

55 with a straight 8. weird
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
this was really weird for me to look at, but at the same time....makes you think what if the v8 wasn't ready in time for 55, but the facelift was.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2444706899.html

Posted on: 2011/6/17 9:15
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 with a straight 8. weird
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With a steering wheel & possibly column as well to match the engine, more likely an exercise someone did to make a driving car out of what good pieces he had or liked. Maybe his new fangled 55 V8 or Twin U bit the dust & he wanted a challenge.

Would be interesting to see more pictures and see what exactly was done. That's a long engine to put in that space and still keep the radiator appearing to be close to the orignal location.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 9:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
if it was cheaper and closer i would entertain it.

but man...i bet with that motor that thing is a pig compared to its old motor.

i doubt Packard would let one order something like this even VERY VERY early in the production run.

has to be done after the fact.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/6/17 9:38
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
i doubt Packard would let one order something like this even VERY VERY early in the production run. has to be done after the fact.

Yes, I doubt Packard would have even considered it for a fleeting moment - they were presenting their "new" up-to-date image, not the past. Not to mention the significant of 1954 models which remained unsold and in dealer's hands well after the introduction of the 1955 models, for the odd-ball person that still wanted a throwback engine.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 10:32
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I bet there is some serious firewall mods that had to be made to make it fit. For sure that is a 55 body (Windshield, rear quarters, dash, etc) , so not just a dressed up '54 with 55 front end.

Wonder if it has TL?! lol

Posted on: 2011/6/17 11:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Henry,

Interesting excersize. Bob Aller had a 54 that he put a Packard V8 in. He drove it to PAC national meets and Salado. He did it 54 while he was working for Packard.

I wonder if the owner just wanted standard shift and used a staight 8 set up since it is easier to find than a V8 setup?

Posted on: 2011/6/17 15:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Henry, thanks for sharing that crazy "downgrade".

Quote:
...Bob Aller had a 54 that he put a Packard V8 in...

Let the ride decide, do you have a pic somewhere? I like the idea to combine the 1954 design with a lively V8.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 15:55
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Could it be a 54 that had a 55 front clip installed. This could have been done years ago due to accident damage when the car was a late model used car. perhaps the owner found a 55 in a junkyard with a good front end and liked it better than the 54. Bodymen sometimes do odd things on their own cars. One could have got an accident damaged 54 cheap and changed the front end for laughs or to get the new look.

Later. On looking again I see it has the 55 wrap around windshield so my theory is shot to blazes.

Posted on: 2011/6/17 18:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Putting the I8 engine in is one thing. There isn't enough money to get me to try to make the '55 column shift link up with a '54 side shift box.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/6/17 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Jack, my father, totally frustrated with the problems with the Twin Ultramatic, did some conversions to standard shift. His earlier efforts used the pre-1955 Packard-built top shift transmissions and he had to adapt the idler shift lever system to the V-8s. They worked well. His later conversions used the Borg Warner-built side shift transmissions which had a simpler direct shift linkage.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/6/17 22:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved