Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

moodydavid16, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 55 with a straight 8. weird
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Just measured the length of the engine compartment in my '55 Clipper Super. It is 37 1/8 inches from the firewall to the rear of the radiator support.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/7/2 19:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I have nothing to measure, so thanks for the engine compartment length, JW. The length of the engine ("crazy long" is a good estimate, I suppose) must be partly determined by the model of the engine, correct? Unless they were all based on the same block. Maybe someone can eyeball an id of the engine, and give an opinion on how it could have been fitted, from the pic:

Attach file:

jpg  (9.78 KB)
917_4e10d9755d0e8.jpg 300X224 px

Posted on: 2011/7/3 16:05
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Jeff wrote:
Interesting topic - sorry I haven't added to it with my photos yet. . . The Packard that Bob installed the V-8 in is a very slick job. I don't recall the entire story, but the engine itself is a very early build, and was installed either at the end of the 54th Series run, or right at the launch of the 55th Series. As an employee with connections, Bob was able to have this done as a more-or-less sanctioned swap. The work may have been done in the shop at Jack Beebe Packard (formerly Reid-Ward), the Zone HQ here in KC. A look at the engine bay would make you think that it was actually assembled that way. The engine fits perfectly fine, with likely only minor mods. But as someone said above, to go the other way and install a 327 or 359 in a 55th Series would be tricky. I would like to compare the linear space between firewall and radiator in a stock version of both. That Str8-8 is crazy long!

As soon as I have the pics, I'll put them up for everyone. And if I can find the whole story, I'll post that as well. It may have been printed in an old issue of The Data Plate, our newsletter here.

Bob Aller Papers are still for sale, by the way! I am about to authorize a 3rd run.

Jeff,

Any luck with the pics of engine swaps yet? I'm also interested in the Aller material--not familiar with what you're referring to. Always interested in Packard history, especially of the 50's kind. PM me if you would like to discuss, or just discuss it here. It's all on-topic no matter what, since the word "Weird" is in the thread title.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 19:28
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information

Posted on: 2011/7/8 8:29
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I'll be in columbus this weekend for the goodguys meet, i'll keep an eye out for it, maybe it'll be in the car coral for sale. You'd be crazy not to drag any old car there and throw a sign on it.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 9:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I found the article (thanks to Jeff) that was written about Bob Aller putting a V8 engine and transmission in a 54 Cavalier. It is in the Winter 2002 number 109 edition of The Packard Cormorant published by The Packard Club.

There is one picture showing the engine in the car. Since this is copyright material, I will not re-produce it here.

Posted on: 2011/7/18 21:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Mike,

hold that out....next time i see you ($$) i want to see it myself. ;0)

till then.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/7/18 21:41
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff
See User information
I did return from Galena, where I spoke with Michael about this interesting topic. As he noted in this thread, I did find the article on the Aller car, written by Emerson Duke, who based the story on a direct interview with Bob. So I would say that is more accurate than any memory of mine! I will continue to seek out my pics and post them.

As for the Bob Aller collection mentioned, Mid-America Packards, through the kindness of the Aller family, has reproduced all (I believe) of Bob Aller's Packard Technical Bulletins, etc. This was a huge project, number around 1100 bulletins altogether, and who knows how many pages. We are selling them as a benefit for the Packard Proving Grounds, one of Bob's favorite topics and something he really believed in, as do many of us. The bulletins have been professionally scanned as high-resolution pdf files, compiled on three CDs, and are available through me, as the Mid-Am representative. All our profits go directly to the Packard Foundation, which handles the finances for the PPG. They are available as a set for $50, or each individual CD can be purchased for $20, checks payable to Mid-America Packards, and sent to:

Mid-America Packards
17704 Plattsburg Road
Holt, Missouri 64048

I send out your purchase in a USPS Priority box and you get as much Packard literature overload as you can stand for a while. Some of this material is Zone stuff, and not normally found among dealer bulletins. It is all Postwar, stretching from 1945 into 1956/57. Look else where in the General Forum here on PackardInfo.com for my original announcement. Buy a set - you, and the PPG will be glad you did!!

Posted on: 2011/7/21 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
ok, here is a V8 in a straight 8.

OK it is not a Packard V8.

The radiator shroud caught my attention.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Packard-Cavalier-1953-Packard-Show-Car-Custom-/220823763051?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item336a1f386b

Posted on: 2011/8/11 11:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Let the ride decide, thanks for sharing.

There is no single word about the engine (is that a BMW?) in the auction description but a complete sentence about the light in the glow box.

Posted on: 2011/8/11 12:30
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved