Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Considering
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

49Custom8Convert wrote:

...I was also advised the car is a 3-speed manual, with no overdrive, which makes it less attractive to me: I was hoping it had Ultramatic...

It's a very neat coupe, but given I like the trim of the 22nd series better in general, I think I will continue to look for another project in better shape.

Unfortunately, those two desires are pretty much incompatible. The Ultramatic was introduced with the 23rd series.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 14:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard kept no specific figures of production by that or several other body styles for the years in question. The best estimates we can make for those body styles is by noting the highest-known surviving body production sequence number, though this can be misinterpreted by the factory renumbering of some left-over 22nd series 1948 cars into 1949 22nd series cars.

Club sedans were available in 4 lines for both the 22nd and 23rd series. There was no club sedan in the Custom 8 line for the 23rd series. And there was no Super DeLuxe in the 22nd series.

Numbers below represent the highest production for the 22nd series club sedans based just on the vehicle numbers I've managed to scavange over the years. Of course production could be higher, even much higher, but not lower.

Eight club sedan - 3028
Eight DeLuxe club sedan - 14102
Super Eight club sedan - no data
Custom 8 club sedan - 723

That there were far more DeLuxe Eight club sedans than Eights stands to reason, there were far more DeLuxe eights made than Eights (47,790 vs 12,803, distributed among the various body styles in each chassis - and the Eight included one additional body style, the Station Sedan).

When Robert Neal's book comes out later this year, I suspect you'll find much better data as his database for the 22/23rd series cars is larger than my own.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 14:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
All I can add is that I LOVE my bathtub! So I guess it is safe to say that THIS bathtub will not be 'popping up' in Texas.

Attach file:

jpg  (58.24 KB)
2923_4e0cf411c800f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (61.52 KB)
2923_4e0cf48791578.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/6/30 17:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Looking good paul! if it wasn't for the different grille, i'd swear i was looking at my car!

Posted on: 2011/6/30 18:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm a long, long-time fan of the 22nd and 23rd series Customs. I view them and the Custom Super Clippers as about as close as Packard came, postwar, to matching the luxury of the best of the prewar Classics. Here are a couple of photos of two I've owned in the past. I bought the 23rd series Custom about 1960 or so and sold it after about 15 years, then buying the 22nd series Custom which I sold about 20 years later to purchase the Caribbean. Fortunately the 22nd series Custom is still in the neighborhood and I get to see it often - it's current owner has lavished great care on it.

Attach file:

jpg  (57.66 KB)
177_4e0d07d2ae348.jpg 933X549 px

jpg  (111.95 KB)
177_4e0d07e85245c.jpg 933X668 px

Posted on: 2011/6/30 18:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Also, as an ultramatic owner, i think i'd rather have the 3spd with overdrive...i imagine it'd drive like a whole new car. Or a 700r4. The 2 speeds can be leisurely when you might want the car to move.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 18:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
That's a beautiful custom.

Yes, I know the desires are incompatible, so I'll just have to reconcile and look for a 48 or 49 22nd series that will have a 3 speed and (hopefully) overdrive.

I have heard the word "sluggish" associated with Ultramatic, but I'll bet it's smooooooth...yes?

Thanks for those figures on club sedans and the information. Should those numbers be completely accurate, a 22nd series custom club is a nice rare bird.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 19:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Maybe I drive Tootie a little too frisky, orrrrrrr, I drive too slowly in the new car... I don't feel the Packard is all that leisurely. It is easy to steer and stop too, I do sit on a pillow to see over the dash and hood though! I am 6' but I feel sort of dwarfed by the long, long hood, sort of like "Master of the Road" dwarf! Gotta love it.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 22:01
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bozonono
See User information
They were manageable cars to drive. My grandmom had no problem driving a 47 super and a 48 convert when new. She was about 5feet tall. I can remember her on the ultramatics hiking forward on the seat so she could hit passing gear. I loved driving with her The only problem she had with the 48 was opening the drivers door if parked on a street with a bit of a crown They were heavy doors

Posted on: 2011/7/1 10:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Yes, the doors are absolutely heavy, even on the sedans! Packard designed the doors to swing free until they were completely in the opened position. Then there was a 'detent' position that would hold the door open. Took me a while to figure that one out!

Posted on: 2011/7/1 11:49
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved