Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Straight Eight engine number/cid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
If only there was a bolt on overdrive unit to put behind the ultramatic ...i find that with the new radials (or maybe just from the factory) my speedo says i'm going about 5-7 mph faster than the gps does at about 70-75.

When i had the 288 in and was doing 75 down the highway, it definitely was like driving a boat. All (or most of the) throttle or none.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 14:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Speedometers that were 5% or so optomistic were pretty typical of the era. Many of the test reports in the 40s thru the 80s often gave the speedometer error.

Radials also will upset speedo accuracy as they generally have a smaller diameter than the bias-ply tire they replaced.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 14:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information

Dave, in fact that confirms the outstanding quality of Packard. At work we drive all-premium cars (Audi A8, Mercedes S-Class, VW Phaeton, BMW 7 Series), all of them with electronic speedometer and at least a third of them have the same average deviation of approx. +5%, easy to measure when driving in convoy by cruise control or speed limiter. BTW in Germany a positive deviation of 10% + 4 km/h (2.49 mph) is within the limits of statutory regulations.

example: 50 mph + 5 mph (10%) + 2.49 mph = 57.49 mph

Posted on: 2011/8/8 15:37
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

cortcomp wrote:
If only there was a bolt on overdrive unit to put behind the ultramatic ...

According to this ad, there is one for sale in Pt. Townsend, WA.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7721&forum=8

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/8 16:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
So if i just bolt a 3 speed with overdrive behind the ultramatic, i should be set to go and have the speed with ultramatic overdrive!

Posted on: 2011/8/8 17:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:

Early fifties Ultramatic cars often were fitted with 3.54 axles which pushes them up to 83mph for a 327 and 94mph for the 288 without excessive piston speed. That's close to how fast a 288 is going to push one of those barn doors through the wind in any event.

As a contrast, an overdrive car is only turning 2100 rpm at 70 and feels quite relaxed. Its maximum safe speed (with 288)if Road and Track's number is followed is 118 mph--something it can only achieve over the side of a cliff. Mine is very happy at 80 but sucks up fuel like a fighter jet when driven that fast.

Ross,

Thanks for the specifics. I'm wondering now what final drive ratios were available in the '48-'50 Packards with 288 cid engines.

It sounds like the 3.54 would really be the ticket especially with a manual trans. Any identifying marks on the differentials or axle tubes on these cars that can help determine the gear ratio installed?

The 288 sounds like a very sound engine. It's interesting to me that it will actually take a bit more rpm than the 327. I always assumed that the 327 was a bored out 288. I never looked up the bore and stroke, but now it sounds as if the the 327 was a "stroked" 288. I'm lazy, but I'll look it up if no one beats me to the answer!

Also, Ross, what is the fuel consumption rate of a fighter jet... or a Packard at 80 mph? And what's your typical fuel mileage at a more sedate 65-70? (Also, of course, is what final drive ratio you are running, whether you have overdrive, what carburetor is installed...)

Thanks for all the input everybody!

EDIT: OK, my trip to specland says the 327 had 3 1/2 in bore, same as 288, but 4 1/4 in stroke, a full half inch longer than the 3 3/4 in 288 stroke, thus, higher piston speed in the 327 and lower safe rpm limit. But you all knew that already, I suppose.

Posted on: 2011/8/8 20:42
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved