Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 233

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

fuel pump
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
A couple of years ago, I decided to rebuild the fuel pump on my 55 Caribbean. I couldn't find a kit, so I decided to buy a new one from one the Packard suppliers. It looked similar to the original except for the arm that rides on the cam on the cam shaft. It was a two piece arm rivited together. Shortly there after I started hearing a grinding noise like the water pump going bad. I replaced the water pump but still had the noise. I put the original pump back on the car and the sound went away. Only thing I could think of is the new pump was noisy. I put it back on and have been driving it with the noise. It scares me that it will crap out at the most critical time, although it seems to run ok.
Does anyone know where I can get a Carter rebuild kit or a rebuild original fuel pump?

Posted on: 2011/7/23 13:41
 Top  Print   

Re: fuel pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Then and Now automotive should be able to help with a kit. They are mentioned on page 2 -- Carter single action pumpshttp://www.maritimedragracing.com/antique_auto_parts_cellar.htm Many V8 owners have used their services and give good marks. I bought this Carter kit from Fred Mauck of Packards International but don't have contact info for him. Carol Mauck at the PI office should be able to help there.

Complete new pumps might be a different story if the vendors do not have the original style but there should be plenty of cores available.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.23 KB)
209_4e2b1bd767426.jpg 640X397 px

Posted on: 2011/7/23 14:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
You have not diagnosed the cause of the noise. Using a car stethescope or a long wooden stick like a broomstick or a long screwdriver you can locate the noise. We have sold over 500 of the newer AC style pumps for V8's as you describe with no complaints of noise.

Posted on: 2011/7/23 14:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One route is what many of us have done, buy a correct used Carter pump core from Mike Dulinski and then send it on to Gould Rebuilders (or Terrill or rebuilder of your choice).

Posted on: 2011/7/23 14:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I'll rebuild it myself if I can get a kit from Yesterday and today. If not I'll go the route of Terril or Gould.
I have used Terrill in the past for other things and find them very good. I have several cores. I've had many 55 and 56 Packards over the last 50 years. Probably close to 40.
I have had my Clipper for 41 years.
Fred, I have diagnosed the problem. Even to the extent of using using a long screw driver as a hearing device.

Posted on: 2011/7/23 18:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
55clipper writes:
" I put the original pump back on the car and the sound went away. Only thing I could think of is the new pump was noisy. I put it back on and have been driving it with the noise. "

That is a COMPLETE EXHAUSTIVE AND TOTAL diagnosis. No other diagnostics should be necessary nor would any continued diagnostic procedures produce any conclusions other than the PUMP is noisy.

Posted on: 2011/7/23 18:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Then and Now automotive should be able to help with a kit... Many V8 owners have used their services and give good marks...

The kit and the service, both are remarkable! Owners of ZIS, ZIL and Chaika in all over the world and last but not least in Germany already participated in the advise, once given to an owner in UK.
Flexible in service, well-disposed and affordable. Say goodbye to the noise, the original pump equipped with the mentioned kit will bring you back the feeling of your first Packard that you bought while in the Army at Fort Bliss in the early 60s - THEN and NOW!

Attach file:

jpg  (21.82 KB)
757_4e2b6e1c6f99f.jpg 495X362 px

Posted on: 2011/7/23 19:58
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Gousha,
How in the world did you know about my first Packard?
You weren't one of my German student's I used to drink with in Juarez are you? Maybe you just got the info on the internet.

Posted on: 2011/7/23 20:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
I find that much is to be learned by finding and diagnosing malfunctions. When something does not make sense it's good to figure out why. A fuel pump is a reciprocating device and the arm rubs on the fuel pump eccentric. The sound you describe as that of a water pump bearing is a sound made by a rotating device. Fuel pumps do not make that sound which is that of a vibration.

With a listening device put to the fuel pump body, the arm pivot pin or the timing cover area you can locate the noise more closely. When trying to diagnose a noise I find it helpful to remove the belts which reduces most background noise OR points to the water/PS pump as the source.

What could be wrong with the FP is perplexing, if it is indeed defective and you bought it from Kanter it is covered by our lifetime limited warrantee.

My intent was and is to assist you. Sometimes the outcome of a more extensive diagnosis can yield surprising results.

Posted on: 2011/7/24 0:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Fred,
I appreciate your feedback and find it very helpful.
I did remove the fan belt when I replaced the water pump and ran the engine. The noise was still there. That is when I reinstalled the original fuel pump and the noise went away. I then put the new pump in and the noise returned. I listened with the screw driver technigue to the water pump, the timing chain cover and the fuel pump top. The noise seemed most apparent where the fuel pump bolts to the timing chain cover. I totally agree with you that it is unusual for a fuel pump to make this type of noise.

Posted on: 2011/7/24 0:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved