Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 215

Paul E. Gallagher, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Opinions please
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you mean this, then it's the oil filter. It may be mixed in with all the spare parts. I see several duplicates -- radios, maybe an electromatic control unit and who knows what under the pile.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.84 KB)
209_4e531ac058fff.jpg 166X183 px

Posted on: 2011/8/22 22:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
You are correct, the oil filter is missing. But then so is the fan, water pump, and generator. They may be in the car along with the two radios, and three sets of ventilator controls.

Edit: Howard beat me to it.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 22:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Wow, I completely forgot about the generator! And until I was looking at the photos hours after I'd visited the car, I realized dang! The gas tank was missing! Then I saw it in the trunk. Jeez.

Once I got under the car, I saw all the places where the floor has rusted through. Are reproduction floor pans available for the front pans, or, given the trunk floor is rusted through as well, are you just better doing a body off and replacing the whole floor? Thoughts?

Also, how does that oil filter work? Meaning, where is the pump + line in, and line out? Can't quite see a clear path. I probably just need to look at a manual to understand it.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 22:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Yes, replacement floor/trunk pans are available here's a source.

Here is an old thread with photos of the oil filter plumbing and a lengthy discussion on the subject.

Quote:

packards1 wrote:
The Custom-8 in the photo is certainly worth more than 5500.00.

Quote:

49Custom8Convert wrote:
I agree: that Custom 8 is worth more than $5,500. I've seen some for sale for about $8,500+ I still think that'd be a deal for a Custom 8.

Thanks, I also agree... that's why I lost no time buying it (didn't quibble over the price either). My point was that in this market there are some extraordinary deals to be had if you are patient and hold out for a nice example of what you are looking for. That car was found on the local KC craigslist and was located less than 20 minutes from my house... I think my fairy godmother must have been working overtime.

As for body-off vs floor pans, someone else will have to comment. I couldn't begin to imagine trying to restore this Custom Club Sedan much less afford the restoration.

Posted on: 2011/8/23 7:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
At the risk of sounding like I'm advising you when I don't know you personally.....Well.....from my perspective and with much humility, I would like to state that the car might have been a good deal at some point, but now it's deteriorated to the point that it would take so much time, energy, and effort, (money too), to restore it that you might risk the twin evils that we might all have experienced with very large projects,........exhaustion and loss of interest...I know I have. However in the end, we all need to do "what we gotta do" and once your decision is made, you'll get more support from this forum than you can handle. Hopes this helps.

Regards......

Posted on: 2011/8/23 16:09
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I quite agree with Packardguy. You will have the cost of a 49 Custom Victoria in the car before you bring it up to a decent standard. Every solitary component seems damaged and the only "easy" way forward would be to buy a really nice finished custom Eight Sedan and part it out onto the fastback. And then you still would not have the interior and a lot of the stainless.

Posted on: 2011/8/23 17:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Yes, I definitely understand.

Spoke to the owner today, and he's not being realistic on the price at all. Oh well, probably for the best. I just hope I'm able to find another with all the same equipment on it.

Posted on: 2011/8/23 21:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Even if he gave you the custom fast back and you are very good with your hands it would take $50,000 plus to get a nice driver, you can drop 10 grand in just the chrome plus another 10 for the enterer. I just got done with a 48 custom convertible which looked like a new car compared to that fast back. Look on ebay they have several fast backs and open 48-50 for sale. The round chamber is the vacuum chamber that operates the clutch-it looks like it is missing the cable that goes through a pulley on the clutch cross shaft and up to a brass bracket that clamps to the starter that is also missing. Don't go back or even call!

Posted on: 2011/8/23 21:53

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved