Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 206

DavidM, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Customised Bathtub
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
55PackardGuy wrote:....Every Continental Kit I look at prompts the same question: why?
I'd think it harks back to earlier cars, Pre-War and before, when the spare was attached to the rear of the car especially before boots(trunks) became the norm. When boots(trunks) came in the spare was often carried there or as sidemounts. Think it's just the stylists trying to harken back to an earlier era, besides sidemounts just weren't practical.

PS - Gerd, I expect you'll soon show us a Post-War car, with mudguards(fenders) integrated into the body lines, equipped with sidemounts. I await the revelation!

Posted on: 2011/12/3 17:01
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Ozstatman,

No doubt the history is there, but IMO, with very few exceptions, factory or custom, the execution of using this styling "cue" of the old days (which, when done well, can be terrific) has been generally horrible since the 50s. One that looked rather OK, and was probably done for the space consideration you mentioned was Nash's little spare-on-the-back.

For my money, the best use of this visual cue was the Continental (which, of course, had dibs on that style like few if any other companies did) of several years back that had a graceful curve in the sheet metal on the top edge of the trunk lid. I liked that.

My old '65 Buick Electra had "running boards" of narrow, ribbed staneless that ran the entire length of the car a few inches above the hight of the rockers. It was cool. Took me a long time to recognize the "cue."

Some styling cues, quite a few, actually, were taken from aircraft designs, with many "jet exhaust" taillights ('61-63 T-bird in particular) and headlight doors on the early '60s Buicks that were very good replicas of the engine nacelles of the B-52 bomber.

If customizers would do some tricks like that instead of just grafting on parts of other cars, they would pique my interest a lot more, and have to do some real thinking about the designs. Something unique instead of "Oh yeah, those are tail lights from a '56 Clipper... cool."

Posted on: 2011/12/4 15:06
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...PS - Gerd, I expect you'll soon show us a Post-War car, with mudguards(fenders) integrated into the body lines, equipped with sidemounts. I await the revelation!

<iframe width="500" height="369" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k6a75BDoJqg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mal, biblical Christians all over the world await the revelation but to be honest, you are the first, who believes that I could be the message-bearer.
So spread your arms and receive. The universe will enter you!

Click to see original Image in a new window

[picture source: www.classiccarcatalogue.com]

Attach file:

jpg  (28.12 KB)
757_4edfc32903658.jpg 500X607 px

Posted on: 2011/12/7 14:48
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Halleluiah brothers! For again Gerd has shown us the light and the way. Halleluiah

Posted on: 2011/12/7 15:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Here is a project that got out of control. I am a 66 year old kid who loves Packards.
1950 Packard Super Deluxe sedan chopped roof 4 inches, lowered body 3 inches, Pontiac Firebird front frame with 455 SD engine slightly modified, custom frame from firewall back. Narrowed 9 inch Ford rear end. Centerline wheels with 215x70x15 front tires and 19.50x31x15 rear tires. The body has been smoothed of all chrome and the drip rails removed.
The car was on it's way to the crusher when I found it. It was minus engine, transmission, interior, hood bumpers, and most of the glass was shot out.
My intention was to install modern running gear and have a resto rod, but like I said the project got out of control. I still have 4 stock Pacckard drivers and 2 projects in waiting to be properly restored.
Packard taximan

Attach file:

jpg  (90.58 KB)
971_4ee163516e771.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (139.68 KB)
971_4ee16371e52f1.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (114.23 KB)
971_4ee1638bd64b5.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (125.39 KB)
971_4ee163b4e0367.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/12/8 20:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved