Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 122

Gar, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Packard Memorbilia
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
The one on eBay is listed incorrectly as an original - it is actually a reproduction. It is also missing the glass therometer and now only good as "garage wall art."

As said by others these were sold at K-Mart in the 1970s and 1980's and a lot of them are out there. And usually mis-represented as vintage when they are a re-pop.

Posted on: 2011/9/1 21:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
I also have one of the eBay type thermometers, bought off Oz eBay last year. It is in pretty good condition, the enamel only has a few small chips on some edges, but the metal is very flimsy. If I remember if cost about $10 with about the same amount for postage.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.00 KB)
226_4e605494ac242.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (37.33 KB)
226_4e6054a5a4d78.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/9/1 23:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John H New York
See User information
Well, thank god I got it for free.

Thanks for the education guys.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 5:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Or look at it a different way:
I like mine. I know it's a repop. Hey it's a nice thermomter. Not original. But $10 in 1980 adjusted for inflation is about $30 US today. So the eBay price is still too high at $50.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 7:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
How can these be considered a "reproduction" a reproduction of which there is nothing original? Whenever I see one on Ebay listed as authentic I ask for documentation. The answer is usually "it looks old" "bought it at an estate sale of an old guy" "I was told it was old". I always tell them if they can supply solid documentation I am interested. So far I have not bought any

Posted on: 2011/9/2 7:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Keith, when you would buy Mal's thermometer for $350.00 and Mal would buy yours for the same price, then both of you would own a very valuable Packard souvenir. Be so kind to transfer copies of the invoices to John H, they will help him to ennoble his.
If everybody is satisfied with the increase in value then I kindly ask for a donation for the benefit of Packardinfo.com, the world's largest free online marketplace of old looking Packard swap-thermometers?.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.97 KB)
757_4e60d7e6b752e.jpg 500X542 px

Posted on: 2011/9/2 8:19
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
56executive -

I agree, but the unfortunate reality is that most people casually throw the term "repro" (or "repop") at anything "new". While some of this "new" memorabilia have become antiques in their own right, that doesn't justify the misrepresentation and ludricous asking prices.

On a related note, I don't consider parts recently made from original tooling to be repro or NOS, but simply NEW.

Getting back to non-authentic memorabilia, I buy pieces like that to decorate my garage - rather than risk spoiling a rare original. There are even some nicely made round repro signs that are done in porcelain over heavy gauge steel (rather than merely paint over tin), which hold up wonderfully outdoors.

Years ago, I even saw some of these very same Packard thermometers used as decoration in some chain restaurants - perhaps for the same reason (and low price, then). Mebbee these eBay finds are merely cast-offs from remodeling - spirited away by former employees.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"unfortunate reality is that most people casually throw the term "repro" (or "repop") at anything "new". "

Ok. I see your point but raise u a question:
WHAt is it called???? A Retrospective Production or what??? I don;t think there is a ny genearly accepted, widely used not commonly understood word to describe any modern representations of historic artifacts other than grouping them into repops. Enlighten me.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 14:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"On a related note, I don't consider parts recently made from original tooling to be repro or NOS, but simply NEW."

Hmmmmm. can u give some examples of Packard parts that are made from original tooling???? I assume 'original tooling" means original FACTORY tooling as was produced by PMCC during PMCC production years. That 'original tooling' is NOT an interpretation on a par with "Original Artists" in the music world.

There are probably examples of Chev or AMC parts from OEM tooling but i really doubt that there is any Packard oem tooling extant. But even using oem tooling begs the question (in somecases) of production controls.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 14:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Let us suppose some modern day REprodcution part is better than or superior to the OEM manufactured part. Then it is not a reproduction either???? What is it??? If the modern day part is infereior or equal to oem part then what is it called????

I really don't know.

Posted on: 2011/9/2 14:35
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved