Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

Larry Reber, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Getting My Car Shipped
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
Probably not the same car. It had been owned by a family in Savannah named DaVanti, since, 1958. I dealt with the grandson. His grandfather having started the restoration (removing trim peices, but not getting very far before he died in '06 or '07). The real restoration has been underway at Mark Clayton's in Castle Rock, Colorado. By the way, the transporter, who refused to compensate me for the loss was Advantage Auto Transport of Tempe, Arizona. My advice is to stay far far way from them.

Posted on: 2011/10/18 17:59
Don Skotty
1938 Super 8 1604 1116 Club Sedan
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Shadowlette
See User information
Hi guys,
I placed an ad with Uship. Seems I got a lot of responses but some stuff I'm getting just seems to be spam. None the less I think I've found a shipper for Morticia. I'm looking very seriously at the enclosed trailer transport. Thanks for the recommendations. Can't wait until she's delivered and my husband cracks a big smile on his face.

Posted on: 2011/10/19 8:47
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54clipper
See User information
Sounds good - with uship, pay plenty of attention to the reviews, and when they say they can pick it up and deliver it. Only choose a shipper that is really excellent, not necessarily the cheapest. I shipped mine open transport for 1500 miles and it was just fine.

Posted on: 2011/10/19 15:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Just want to share my uship experience when I bought my '41 Coupe off eBay 4 years ago about getting it from Middleton(near Boise)Idaho to Orange in California, about 1,000 miles, from there it was then shipped to Australia. I'd arranged the shipping before I left Australia then I went to Middleton and was there for two days. First day was inspection and payment. Second day waiting all day for the shipper to arrive and pick it up.

Here's the story. Enquiries late on the first day I was in Idaho revealed that the shippers trailer had blown 2 tires after running over debris on the road that day which, coupled with illness to the lady in the partnership had slowed their progress to Idaho. However they expressed their confidence in arriving on the afternoon of the second day. So the wait began. With their non show by early evening I contacted and left messages on their cell. When they responded it was to advise they'd be there in about an hour as another tire had blown on the trailer and it only had 3 wheels on it now! Fortunately for the shippers, the Coupe's seller worked at a RV manufacturer and was able to supply the shippers with 2 brand new wheels and tires for the trailer at an extremely good price. They eventually arrived about 8:30pm whereupon they said we must think they look like hillbillies, and truer words couldn't have been spoken. Although doubts were in my mind about entrusting my prized Packard to their custody, their assurances that it would be safe with them for the trip to Los Angeles, with a reference to Mr S & W being available for security purposes, and although I didn't think bullet holes would enhance the Coupe's appearance, I didn't have a fall back option so entrusted it to them for the trip. I later learned, that the guy I bought the car off received a call from the shippers about 4 hours into the trip to LA. This time they had burned out a wheel-bearing on the trailer.

I then winged my way round the USA taking the opportunity to enjoy the US on my visit, with thoughts of who knows what might happen to the Coupe. I visited Joel(Packards1)with his '56's and the Henry Ford in Detroit, the Packard Museum in Warren Ohio, the Smithsonian and a Washington Nationals game in DC - had to see one MLB game while I was in the USA, the Don Garlits Museum in Florida(my hot rod/drag racing background from 35/45 years ago coming through - and for anyone with an interest in drag racing this place is amazing with many famous, historic and trend setting cars from the past on display and apart from the Packards was the highlight of my trip) and the Petersen Museum in LA, while the Coupe made it's way to LA arriving without further mishap. Although when they arrived the shipper told the people at the delivery point the car didn't run (although it had been driven onto the trailer in Idaho) and the shipper had been instructed on the simplicity of re-connecting the battery cable at the end of the trip to enable it to start and run. However now being amongst car guys this was soon sorted out.

On my arrival in LA about a week and a half later I went and saw the Coupe and left some Packard parts I'd been dragging around with me in it for shipment back to Australia so it all turned out well. Before and after pic's below.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.18 KB)
226_4e9fb3c8dc7d1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.80 KB)
226_4e9fb3d56e38f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/10/20 0:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Shadowlette
See User information
That is one sweet ride!!!!!!! *picks chin up off floor*

Posted on: 2011/10/20 12:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have used owner-driver transport companies and a large national company. I recommend a large national company and covered transport.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/20 17:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved