Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 222

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ignition switch?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Vintage41
See User information
My ignition switch feel sloppy when turning the key on and off where can I get one?

Thanks guys

Posted on: 2011/10/31 9:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Ignition switch?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
The usual suspects. and David Moe Packard-Seattle Co.

Attach file:

jpg  (93.32 KB)
1067_4eaeb4cd613cf.jpg 692X943 px

Posted on: 2011/10/31 9:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Paging Flackmaster....you have a customer waiting in the lobby.....Flackmaster to the lobby please.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 9:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
You might consider replacing the lock cylinder and/or having a fresh key cut over at Home Depot before dipping into the savings account for a new switch/cable. (which incidentially from the warehouse did not come with a lock cylinder/key) If the switch itself is not flumoxed, "tightening" up the cylinder may be all that is needed to cure "sloppyness".
Suggest you get with your Certified Packard Master Serviceman, who can then contact the Certified Packard Master Partsman at the Dallas warehouse.

also seen in the above search post (problem is I cannot find it in the link) is this comment " Headlamp Switch headlamp switch, preferably with an attached over-drive lamp dimmer..." I have NOS switches (4.1335), 348466 with and without some resistor thingy in the forward part of the switch...anybody familiar with what the comment refers to - I do see the next switch 364421 listed for use with E.D, presumeably econodrive, so....comments appreciated as to verification of whats what with the two switches/differences/ED thingy. Sorry to take this off topic, but while I'm here....

Posted on: 2011/10/31 10:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The way I read this article, I would gather there were two headlight switches -- with and without OD and the resistor switch would be for OD cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.75 KB)
209_4eaed7a8c86fd.jpg 367X553 px

Posted on: 2011/10/31 12:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Flackmaster, I guess I don't want to comment too much on your "E.D. thingy". A good M.D. could probably help with a script.

Posted on: 2011/10/31 15:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Well, it seems we have solved the E.D problem which according to the service bulletin is actually an A.D problem. Seems to rectify the problem, all one would need would be a Packard script switch, properly implanted in the vehicle in question. And to the originator of this now officially hijacked thread, (for those of us with A.D.D) bring your car out Saturday morning, as I will be in Ft. Worth and I will be happy to do a complete physical exam / diagnosis on the ignition switch. FWIW, Packards1 had a NOS switch/cable at Hershey this year....

Attach file:

jpg  (86.13 KB)
439_4eaf3a179638c.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2011/10/31 19:14
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Vintage41
See User information
Thanks for all the replies... I ended up with a painless universal (key ignition switch) come with two cut keys for 18 dollars... looks almost exactly then same... I wired it up where you can start the car by key or push button... summitracing.com is where I bought it...

heres the link if anyone else wants one

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Ignition-Switches/?keyword=ignition+switch&kr=ignition+switch

part number Prf-80153

Attach file:

jpg  (14.67 KB)
3760_4ec1442916e54.jpg 369X400 px

Posted on: 2011/11/14 11:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
NAPA also offers universal ignition/start switches. In a somewhat dated catalog of theirs there are about 20 different types and styles to pick from. I could scan and post the page(s) if there is much interest.

Posted on: 2011/11/14 14:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would be interested to see what was available in universal--particularly if any of those are without a key cylinder.

I bought a universal switch with cylinder many years ago which I neglected to keep the number for. Maybe it could be crossed by a catalog picture since the Napa website is not too search friendly in that regard. Over 1000 switches come up even after filtering down, but alas universals are scattered thruout.

There is at least one -if not more- that removing the new cylinder and with some minimal work, the Packard lock cylinder fits in the switch. By adding a couple of pins, switch also fits the 55-6 bezel.

I have had one in use for years & would like to document.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.81 KB)
209_4ec1771bbe27f.jpg 628X640 px

Posted on: 2011/11/14 15:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved