Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
248 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 247

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 1931 833 Tires
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Dave (Owen),

I have 6 wooden artillery rims.

When I inquired Universal last night about tires and tube. They replied back to me today asking if I wanted the rubber or metal stems.

Is the metal stem the correct type for my car?

DavidM,

Thanks for the heads up on the width factor of the tire. The tires that where mounted on the side mounts now I am not going to replace. They are a pretty decent shape and fit well in the well.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 22:00
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To my knowledge rubber stems didn't come in until 1935. You might check some judging standards, like AACA. I believe PAC says 1934 for the first rubber stems. Most if not all the factory photos of 34 models show metal stems, I suspect you'll find confirmation of the same thing by looking at factory photos of 8th series cars.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 22:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, here's a factory photo from the MMU collection of an 8th series car with wooden artillery wheels. The metal valve stems are clearly visible.

And here's a second 8th series factory photo which give a fair view of the tread pattern of the era. There may be better views if you browse further.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.95 KB)
177_4ed7a873bd9b3.jpg 750X599 px

jpg  (59.65 KB)
177_4ed7ac47f2440.jpg 750X600 px

Posted on: 2011/12/1 11:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Dave,

You are awesome. Thanks for taking the time to find the picture.

So the stem is steel and they come straight out with no 90 degree bend pointing them outward. Will make note of that.

Looks like the rims are painted body color. I wonder if a customer had a choice of having them painted or leaving them natural?

Also the snap rings seem to be plated. Hum decision time do I have mine plated or just paint them again?

How does one keep from scratching the rim and snap ring when reassembly?

Apologize for all these q's.

O and look black walls (West where are you )

Posted on: 2011/12/1 11:38
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All I can add is that, if you have the snap rings plated, be sure to demand that they be stress-relieved of hydrogen or the embrittlement can cause them to crack or shatter with obviously unpleasant consequences.

Hydrogen embrittlement should not be a new or not understood phrase with a good plater who would have dealt with it regularly in such situations. If your plater looks quizical, find another plater.

As to whether there was an option to have natural wood (hickory, I suppose) spokes, browse thru the MMU photos and perhaps you'll find the answer. Also the parts book many have the answer if wheels are listed as "natural" or "specify color".

How about a little research on your own and let us know what you find?

And here's another vintage shot showing tire tread pattern, this time on a 32 901.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.82 KB)
177_4ed7b0f8235c7.jpg 750X592 px

Posted on: 2011/12/1 11:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Dave,

Thanks for the insight on Hydrogen embrittlement. I will for sure make sure the plater is aware of that issue.

Will for sure follow up when I do my own research. Thanks again for all your wonderful help and I mean that wholeheartedly.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 11:58
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I was told that hydrogen embrittlement wasn't really an issue with material that thick, but it doesn't hurt to go ahead an ask anyway. If the lock ring had any hidden cracks, that would be a bigger problem, so perhaps it would be more important to get it magnafluxed. ??? I dunno. Just throwing out a question I guess.

In any event, it will look a LOT better plated than painted, especially if you put black tires on. On the downside, plating lock rings is not cheap.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 13:24
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just FYI all the Packard related pictures that are part of the Making of Modern Michigan digital collection came from the Detroit Public Library National Automotive collection. Those same pictures are also contained in the Photo Archive here on the PackardInfo website and are there as a curious to us Packard owners on behalf of the Detroit Public Library.

Regards,

Posted on: 2011/12/1 16:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BigKev wrote:....Those same pictures are....there as a curious to us Packard owners.....
Curiouser and curiouser!

Courtesy demands I apologise. Sorry Kev, can't help myself,

Posted on: 2011/12/1 18:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
BigKev,

That is wonderful that Detroit Public Library donated the pictures for the site. How awesome is that.

I am looking them over now to see if I can compare the tire to what the vendors are selling.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 18:51
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved