Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 151

Frogmagic, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Storing a car for the winter
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Yesterday I found a great article but I am stumped on one thing. Depress clutch pedal to the floor with a board. What does that do for the clutch?

1 Start the car and run 5 minutes
2 Add or change anti-freeze or drain radiator and block
3 add sta-bil or fuel stabilizer
4 depress clutch pedal to the floor with a board
5 disconnect supply side of battery terminal
6 put a couple of drops of oil in terminal
7 jack up car - put on jack stands to get the weight off tires
8 open door just a bit trunk lid too
9 cover care with cloth sheet or cover
10 if outside using a plastic tar. use spaces to keep tarp off cloth or metal - prevents rust and allows air flow
11 use an air freshener-( moth balls work well but the smell bad even if you are not a bother)
12 add top oil to gas tank
13 put a few drops in each cylinder; leave plug loose
14 try to start car at least once per month
15 PRAY FOR AN EARLY SPRING!

Posted on: 2011/12/7 8:39
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Storing a car for the winter
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Apparently there have been instances where the clutch plate 'sticks' and won't disengage after storage. So the board propped against the clutch pedal holds the clutch open so it won't stick. I've never had this happen but I have a garage that doesn't go below freezing so I generally run, move my cars around the driveway during the Winter on nice days.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 9:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Storing a car for the winter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Never happened to me, I'd guess it takes pretty humid storage conditions for it to occur, as well as prolonged storage. As you might have read in my recent thread on putting the car up for winter storage, I used to block the clutch but for a short layup (3-1/2 months) I don't bother anymore.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8372&forum=4

I've encountered it with a friend's 41 160; just putting the car in gear and rocking it back and forth with the clutch depressed usually breaks the clutch free. Towing or pushing the car (again with the clutch depressed) is a bit more agressive method. There are other more drastic (and potentially dangerous) methods if that doesn't work.

Posted on: 2011/12/7 9:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved