Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 69

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Gear Start Ultramatic Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Was the Gear Start fitted to the 1954 senior cars, or was it only used on the junior models?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/5 17:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Gear Start Ultramatic Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to Brian's 54 RPO compilation it replaced the regular Ultra in late production cars & could be found on any that had the option. He does cite a need for documentation to verify exact details.

I am curious if one could specify regular or gearstart to be installed after it was introduced or did they just completely stop production on the regular units like they did the 56 Custom Clipper when the Executive was introduced.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 17:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
In composing the 54 RPO chart, know that I only had one Trade Letter to go by. It was published in '53 and specifically noted as "effective with the first shipment of 54th Series cars".

Of course, the Gear Start was not available at that point, but I decided to include an entry for it in my chart, anyway (and foootnoted as needing documentation). I based the model availabilty on parts book applications, which appears to be one-to-one with the previous Ultramatic (AT) equipment. I've never seen any documentation as to exactly when that equipment was introduced, but it seems to be generally acepted that it was very late.

My gut feeling is that the Gear Start completely replaced the original Ultramatic in regular production, but there's always a chance of an exception to any rule, by approved special request.

If anyone can provide BigKev with additional Trade Letters, I'll be more than happy to update the chart(s).

Posted on: 2012/1/5 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I knew two 54 Patties and a convertible with Gear start.

As the cases and machining were so different, I would not be surprrised if the GS units were made at the Utica plant instead of East Grand explaining part of their late introduction. All of the Twins were made in Utica.

Somewhere at home I have a fascinating internal memo bemoaning two quality issues they had with the older units. The first was minute machining debris left in the cases getting stuck in the governor--my experience also is that those governors have no tolerance for dirt at all. The second is that the aluminum convertor half would split open under pressure. That I have only seen once when a 52 Patty that drove OK on Monday afternoon dropped all 11 quarts in the driveway on startup on Tuesday morning. OOg.

Anyway, if I recall the memo mentioned having 10,000 Ultras in stock in early 54--enough as it turned out to get them quite a ways through that horrible sales year. Will post it when I get home in March.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 22:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved