Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
60 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

LED versus halogen bulbs
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Iwant to improve the lighting on my 51 200. I will be changing the headlights to halogen, but have a question on the tail and turn signal lights. LED bulbs that fit into the standard sockets are readily available at the local RV parts stores. Halogen pulls more power than the standard incandescent, LED less. Has anyone had any experience with either?
PS - I still am running the original 6 volt, generator system on the car. thanks

Posted on: 2012/2/1 22:42
 Top  Print 

Re: LED versus halogen bulbs
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Only problem with some LED bulbs is that some of they pull such low current that it is not enough to trip the turn signal relay.

Posted on: 2012/2/1 22:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As Kev mentioned, depends on the specs of the particular unit if they will work. If you do run into the problem of not enough current to trigger the flasher, some LED lamps can have a load resistor installed to duplicate the regular bulb filament characteristics. Downside to that is resistors get hot, need to be mounted, and you need one per light.

I haven't tried this particular unit to see if would work for us but another possibility is to replace the thermal type flasher with an electronic type which is not load dependent.http://www.lightexports.com/servlet/the-3091/EF33W-automotive%2C-EF33W-hazard/Detail

Posted on: 2012/2/1 23:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello David:

There are several things you need to know about LEDs before you install them. First, they are polarity sensitive - check to see if your car is positive or negative ground and if that matches to the LED bulb. A mis-match and the bulb will NOT work.

Next, the bulbs should be RED to match the color of your tail light lens. A white bulb will make your tail light look a bright pink - not good.

LEDs are directional - each LED points in ONE directon. If you need side lighting, then you need what is called a "festoon" bulb where some of the LEDs point to the side.

You can read more at this web site:
http://www.highspeedmotors.com/Webled.html

This LED topic has come up on a vintage motorcycle website that I read and the conclusion of one rider who did a test is that $5 to $7 LED bulbs he bought were NOT as bright as the stock 1157 tail light bulb. Maybe he did not buy the "right" LED bulbs to test as some bulbs have more LEDs than other.

What would be good if someone would buy a batch of different bulbs and write a comparison test for the rest of us that are interested.

--Roger--

Posted on: 2012/2/2 10:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If, after you've checked the wire connections and grounds and where applicable cleaned or painted the internal reflective surfaces of the housing with something like aluminum paint, your lights are still not bright enough to suit, then I'd suggest taking the simple route and going with halogens. The additional current draw is almost trivial.

I have some experience with installing 6-volt halogen tail lamp bulbs in a couple of senior 1941 models which have notoriously dim rear lamps, and the result was more than satisfactory.

Posted on: 2012/2/2 10:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks guys. I've already cleaned the contacts and painting the interior with "almost chrome" paint - this helped, but I think I'll go with the halogen. Didn't realize the LED lights had such issues.

Posted on: 2012/2/2 10:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
David, I recently installed Halogen headlights on my 1955 Clipper. A check of the bulb specifications revealed that the halogen bulbs actually draw a bit less current than the tungsten ones they replaced. This was for the 12-volt headlight bulbs, don't know if it is true for the 6-volt bulbs. I bought mine at NAPA and they had the spec sheet in their catalogs.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/2/2 11:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Halogens do seem a logical choice and will avoid flasher issues. Can anyone who has converted offer a comparison on operating temp on recent manufacture small halogen bulbs vs regular. Used to be that halogens were considerably hotter and wonder if still the case. The bulb glass on the halogen type 1157 looks similar in size and shape to the quartz glass used on industrial bulbs I'm familiar with. Those sure run hotter than blazes.

If they do run hot, unless really close to lens, not a big problem with the glass lens tail or park lights with surrounding air space. If contemplating a change, anyone with older plastic tail light lens which have the inner secondary plastic prism very near the bulb & those with plastic parking light lens might want to check air space out carefully. Have seen a few of those inner lens even with regular bulbs where there have been heat problems.

Posted on: 2012/2/2 11:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Just a note on these olds bulbs.

Light bulbs get dimmer as they age. You can test this by placing a new bulb next to a used bulb on a piece of white paper.

As for LED turn signals, one way to load the flasher is to parallel a heavy draw bulb to the flasher. This is easier than trying to find a suitable power resistor. The bulb can be hidden in a box under the dash.

If maximum candle power is the objective then I would certainly consider using relays controlled by the switches. Those automotive switches are old and subject to high resistance. It may not look 100% original under the hood and fenders but if done carefully nobody will notice.

Also, chassis grounds are important as well. You should run a long test lead from battery ground to to a multi-meter at a given light to check the voltage difference with the light burning and a battery charger hooked to the battery. Anything higher than .4 volts is a problem (0 to .2v is ideal). But mind you, that old metal loses conductivity so you might end up running a ground system parallel to the wiring harness.

Posted on: 2012/2/2 18:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Has anyone tried the LED headlights sold by JC Whitney? last time I looked they were $300......

Posted on: 2012/2/2 18:16
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved