Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 195

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

hard starting
Just popping in
Just popping in

willb
See User information
I have a 1934 12 cyl victoria and am having a very hard time starting the car. Is there a secondary ignition switch which may be turned off?

Posted on: 2012/2/5 17:25
 Top  Print   

Re: hard starting
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, there is no "secondary" ignition switch.

Your problem is unclear; are you having a failure of the engine to crank over, or does it crank over normally and a failure to start? There are quite a few things to check on so and each symptom has it's own list of candidates so it's really important to have the symptoms correct first.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 17:43
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

willb
See User information
Thank you for your response. The car started and ran a week or two ago in Scottsdale. It was shipped here. It turns over slowly, but does not fire up. There is an auxiliary fuel pump, which I now think is for problems with vapor lock.

Posted on: 2012/2/5 17:55
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Have you tried to charge the battery?

Posted on: 2012/2/5 18:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

willb
See User information
battery is fully charged - do they have automatice chokes or is there a manual choke? or any other secrets to starting it?

Posted on: 2012/2/5 22:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day willb,
to PackardInfo and hope you track down the reason for the hard starting. And I have a request for you, could you please include your '34 Twelve Victoria in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo?

Posted on: 2012/2/6 0:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
willb:

First requirement for starting is a good, potent battery, NAPA 7212 or equiv, something with about 1000 cold cranking amps. That's a lot of engine mass to turn over and still leave enough reserve for ignition.

Yes, you have an automatic choke. Depress and release the gas pedal once to set the choke. It's a Stromberg Model C mounted horizontally on the intake manifold forward of the carburetor - you should be able to see the linkage going to the choke valve. You can check it's position by the counterweight arm on the choke shaft - as I remember it's on the driver's side of the carb. Counterweight in the up (approximately horizontal) position means it's closed and positioned to start a cold engine. Counterweight in the dropped position is correct for warm starts.

Two primary things to check - (1) is there fuel in the carburetor, and (2) is there spark at the plugs. Do you know how to check these things?

With a Twelve in good internal condition (good compression) and in good state of tune, it should start easily within perhaps 2 or 3 revolutions of the engine.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 9:40
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

willb
See User information
The Fuel bowl is full and there is an auxiliary pump as well. Do they all turnover real slow?

Posted on: 2012/2/6 11:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In comparison to modern cars they do turn over more slowly; it's a function of the # of teeth of the flywheel, the number of teeth of the starter pinion, and the rpm of the starter motor so it's inherent in the original design which was completely adequate. Of course if the starter motor is in less the good condition, it may be even more slowly. It's an extremely strong starter motor, gives 39 ft-lbs of torque.

If the starter motor is in poor condition, it's current draw will increase, leaving less of a reserve for the ignition. If you put a voltmeter across the battery, while cranking you should have 4.5 to 5 volts. If less, perhaps the starter needs servicing. There is a regular correspondent here who specializes in rebuilding these units if that's indicated.

Why not just check the spark while cranking? With one of the plug wire's metallic end (you may need to insert a short screw into the terminal end if you have the OEM type), place it about 1/4 inch from the engine block. The spark while cranking should easily jump the gap with a good, strong blueish snap of a spark. If the spark is feeble or yellow, you probably have a weak ignition system which could be the result of any number of things.

PS - and the presence of gas in the fuel in the glass bowl does not assure that there is gas in the carburetor. Since on a Twelve even with the filter removed you can't see down the throat of the carburetor, the conventional way of testing isn't available, but there is an alternative way. With all sources of open flame or spark removed, disconnect the end of the fuel line near the carburetor and with a small cup or can under it, have someone crank the engine for a second or two - gas should be discharged.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 13:10
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

willb
See User information
Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond, Those options are somewhat obvious, i was just wondering if there was a special trick to starting the cars.

I assume that this website and forum is the spot to find someone who can direct me points, condenser, coils,plugs, Etc., that will be where i will need to go if we have no spark

Posted on: 2012/2/7 13:21
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved