Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 146

humanpotatohybrid, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Backing board for door panels. what to use?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Howdy.
I took the interior panels off of my '55 Clipper and the cardboard/fiberboard backs are warped. My question is: What you you suggest that I use to replace them? The vinyl material is fine and I can peel it off. I'd like to replace just that backing board.
Thanks and, as always, you guys rock!

Posted on: 2012/3/11 22:16
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Re: Backing board for door panels. what to use?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have a friendly local upholsterer who will order from his supply house you can buy a replacement water resistant cardboard which is pretty close to the original thickness. Ordering that way will probably avoid a large freight charge. When I first looked into the cardboard for my on/off glovebox project, freight was way more than the material. Fortunately an upholsterer friend would order it for me. If no one local, here is a mail order placehttp://www.perfectfit.com/15347/154533/Chipboard-Car-Panelboard/Black-Treated-Waterproof-Panelboard.html Restoration Specialties also carries it.

I know some have used a 1/8" fiberboard from the home center which is close to the original in looks but not water resistant and, IIRC is just a tad thicker. Luan plywood used for door skins has also been used. I used 3/16 Masonite about 15 years ago which is much too thick -- but all I could find here at the time.

No matter which you use, cutting the multitude of holes for the clips and everything else is a pain.

Posted on: 2012/3/11 22:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Good info! Cutting holes can be accomplished with different sized brass or copper tubing, sharpened to a bevel on one end. Pakardtaximan suggested picking up a cheap socket set and sharpening the ones you need to punch holes with. Of course, this only works for round holes.

Posted on: 2012/3/12 7:56
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Thanks Howard! Thanks Joey!

Posted on: 2012/3/12 9:00
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You can buy inexpensive hole punch sets at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/3/12 11:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
We used to use a product called Sentra Board, a plastic available from art supply places. Comes in sheets of various colors and thicknesses.....

Here is one sourcehttp://sintrapvc.com/

Posted on: 2012/3/12 15:37
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just made a driver's door panel for my 56 this evening. Used 1/8 tempered masonite as it is cheap and readily available.

I bolted the stripped old panel to the new masonite with 4 bolts and washers so it could not shift. It was then an easy matter to cut along the edge of the old panel with a fine blade in the jigsaw to make the new one the exact size. All the pertinent new holes were drilled right through the old ones for perfect location. I did the retainer clip holes by drilling 5/16 at each end of the rectangle and then squaring up the hole with the jigsaw.

After unbolting, I hit all the ragged edges with a sanding disk and beveled the edges of the panel so the material will wrap nicely. After the new panel is assembled, will paint the back with polyurethane.

Total time to make the panel came to 45 minutes including getting the tools out. I'll put them back tomorrow 'cause it was suppertime!

Posted on: 2012/3/12 19:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Thin Masonite is the closest and best material you can use for backing on V-8 door panels.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Thanks Guys! I now have new options to explore. One more great aspect of this website!

Posted on: 2012/3/14 21:47
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Uncle Bubba
See User information
Another choice is picture matting board. I have used that in the past, after skim coating each side with epoxy resin (not polyester resin). Good thickness, workability, durability, can laminate using epoxy to exactly match thickness. You can even complete all your access holes, and then do the epoxy thing, so that the edges of the holes are treated to prevent fraying or moisture intrusion. Trick came from my other hobby, boat building. Can easily get matting from art supply store chain like "Michael's". MCB

Posted on: 2012/3/15 8:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved