Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

windshield molding clips
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

56clipper
See User information
hi every one,i have a 56 clipper that i am restoring and need advice on repairing the front widndshield molding clips(the ones with the studs that are welded to them)well mine came off.does anyone know how to put these studs back on the molding clips.thanks wes

Posted on: 2012/3/25 10:09
 Top  Print   

Re: windshield molding clips
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't have an answer and other than some kind of welding or soldering, not sure what the original attachment method was. Since I also have a few assorted pieces in same condition would also be interested in any ideas. If no one has one, will throw something out for discussion.

What are the chances of using something like the stud guns used in body repair. Several advertise they can attach those studs to thin sheetmetal fenders without burning thru. Would the threaded studs be able to fit on those guns and be securely attached without burning thru the stainless. The stainless would be discolored but would think it should be able to be polished out. If not the original studs, what about the copper ones used in bodywork. Could those be threaded and used.

Posted on: 2012/3/25 10:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
hi gents. I restored a 55 clipper custom a couple yrs back and had the same issue as well as trouble finding some of the side body clips . what i did was buy a universal side body moulding clip and alter them to work. They are 3/4 inch wide by 2-1/2 long with stamped perforated lines every 1/16 inch and they have a long threaded stud that takes a nut. I simply cut them to fit tightly inside the molding and slid them inside the trim and poked the hole thru the rubber as the svc manual states. you can use more on the moulding to hold it tight because the moulding has the edges crimped all way over. at the seams where the cover tabs go that originally had the posts you can do 1 of 3 things. try to braze a post on which will discolor the stainless. turn the same clip horiz. to cover the ends of both edges of the trim and put a drop of eurethane windshield sealer and glue the cover tabs on in the center,which is what I did. Or carefully roll the edges of the tabs all the way over to hold the clips in same as above. hope this helps- they call me Mcgyver. Dan

Posted on: 2012/3/25 16:05
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

56clipper
See User information
yep i tried the stud gun method with no success.just got the stud and clip red hot but didnt adhere.it looks like it may have had some kind of braze material on the end of the stud because it melted off with the stud gun.i think i will try brazing it.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 12:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's disappointing. Some sites mention successfully silver soldering stainless to other metals making sure to use a stainless compatible acid flux. Not as strong as a weld but maybe that's worth a shot.

MuggyWeldhttp://www.muggyweld.com/?view=stainless claims to have a rod for the purpose.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 12:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I wasn't aware that the supply had gotten tight on the windshield molding trim with the intergral studs; we needed one for a local 56 a short time ago and were able to come up with one in a hour or two. If you'll accept a used one, try Mike Dulinski, or perhaps Joel Ray (Patrician Industries) for an NOS one.

Or if you're intent on fixing yours, silver soldering as just mentioned sounds like a good approach.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 12:44
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

56clipper
See User information
i ended up sourcing two clips from a 56 patrician.my clips the stud was attached to the trim clip directly,but the clips from the patrician have a bar welded from lip to lip and the stud is attached to that bar.ill try to get some pics posted.thanks to all that responded

Posted on: 2012/5/22 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi Guys,

I am having trouble getting the chrome molding on my 55 Caribbean, I am missing all the molding clips (don't ask how) I have the windscreen installed, but no way of getting the chrome molding on.

Does anyone have a picture of these clips, or can someone advise how many clips I would need? I have had a look in the parts book and have found in group # 31.397 part # 6485097, is this the correct part which is used to hold the chrome onto the weatherstrip?

I have attached a picture of showing (not mine) indicating what chrome strips I have,

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Mathew

Attach file:

jpg  (17.43 KB)
24_4ff83763bcfcb.jpg 488X326 px

Posted on: 2012/7/7 8:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm a bit more confused than usual. With the holes and shape, those you show would appear to be Gr. 31.395 inside pieces. Just used screws over a bit of anti squeak webbing and no clips. The mirror bracket fits between the two top/side "L" shaped pieces. The two slightly curved ones for the bottom finish over the dash pad are more interesting. With two pieces there must be a clip or cover -- unless they slide together. Different numbers but the parts book says that bottom is a single piece for all 55-6 (including convertibles) and doesn't mention anything else needed.

If you do mean the chrome on the outside, that fits/slides/clamps into slots in the weatherstrip. Body section of service manual has the procedure.

They make it sound easy -- it isn't and your mechanic will most likely use all the appropriate words he knows before he's done. Think the repro weatherstrip may be a bit softer than original. When you get one piece just about finished, maybe because of the softer rubber not holding tightly, something somewhere pops out.

There are two clips at joints on top and one at bottom middle which have a stud going thru the weatherstrip for an attaching nut. Parts book lists two separate pieces -- a clip and a cover but IIRC, they are attached as one piece. They do overlap the chrome molding. Not the primary holding method but is a bit of security and dress for the ends. The rubber slots do the work and some cars that have broken or missing clips still have intact molding. I'll see if I can find one for a photo but others may have one more readily available.

NOTE: This is for a regular car. I don't see any difference mentioned for convertibles but will have to let others say for sure.

EDIT: Thought I might have a clip assy laying around but doesn't seem to be. Maybe someone else has one. All I can provide is a photo of one installed.

Posted on: 2012/7/7 9:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The parts shown in your pic are INSIDE trim and for a four-door sedan - all of which are fastened with screws.

While the Body section of the 55-56 shop manual outlines the procedure for installing the outside windshield trim mouldings, it's a bit hard to get a visual feel for what's really going on with that.

Have you checked the Body section of this site's Service Index? You'll find a couple of STBs, there, on windshield weatherstrip issues that provide some clues. The solution involving additional retainers and screws may not necessarily apply to your car. However, look closely at the illustrated cross-section and you'll see the "magic" slot/groove for the molding.

Posted on: 2012/7/7 12:47
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved