Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Firing Order / Straight 8 / Wiring Positions
Just popping in
Just popping in

Hitechtoys
See User information
Hello,
I've got a 1925 Packard with a Straight-8. Just about got her to turn over this week-end! New plugs and plug wires. On the engine block it says the firing order is 1,3,2,5,8,6,7,4. I checked the manuals I have...my questions is when the spark plug wire comes up to the distributor cap...WHAT is the sequence for the cap? Is the front hole #1, then clockwise? Counter-clockwise? They made no sense the way they were connected...they were random, but maybe if #1 is in the front, then it's the firing order going clockwise? Counter-clockwise? I know there must be an order as to how these connect.

Does anybody have an idea on how these connect correctly or where I could look for the answer?

THANK YOU!!

Attach file:

jpg  (45.98 KB)
4073_4f70a45be1514.jpg 436X584 px

Posted on: 2012/3/26 12:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Firing Order / Straight 8 / Wiring Positions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a wiring diagram on the PAC site showing the factory original orientation.http://www.packardclub.org/wiring/1925-26wiring-2.JPG

It would appear from that illustration the #1 cylinder is at roughly the 2:00 position on the cap and they go around clockwise looking from the top. #3 is roughly 3:00, #2 is roughly 5:00, #5 is roughly at 7:00 and so on.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 12:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Distributor rotation is CW. You've got a non-stock cap. If memory serves the original caps were flat-topped with the wires in from the sides under a removeable top cover. If I remember correctly, some of the wires went all the way across the top underneath the cover to attach on the far side so that you had the neat appearance of 4 wires from the rear for the rear cylinders, and ditto for the front 4.

I assume you have single coil, single-ended rotor equipment? To properly locate #1, pull the first spark plug and with your finger over the hole, rotate the engine until you feel compression. Then stop at TDC and at that point, the rotor tip should be underneath the wire to #1 plug. Then just in firing order sequence going CW.

PS -when you rotate the engine to get #1 at TDC, of course you must rotate it in it's normal direction of rotation. When I do this, I pull the coil wire and use the engine crank.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 12:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've asked for a couple of pictures of the correct distributor cap and wiring orientation on a 2nd Series Eight from a friend who has one. Hopefully he'll come thru quickly.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 14:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Hitechtoys wrote:...got a 1925 Packard with a Straight-8...
G'day Hitechtoys,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Off on a tangent, with a Forum name of Hitechtoys, at first glance a '25 Packard doesn't seem to qualify but putting the Packard in an historical context makes more sense of it!

Posted on: 2012/3/26 19:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Hitechtoys
See User information
THANK YOU HH56 for the Wiring Diagram...that should clear up a few things...and THANK YOU Owen for the information. Let's hope your friend comes through...I need all the input I can get!

Also, Ozstatman...Hitechtoys is a User Name I use from Ebay to Amazon to Hotmail to Packard. By brain is only so big, I gotta keep it simple. But you are right...in 1925 this Packard was a Hitech Toy...cutting edge for the wealthy. My dad had it for over 60-years. It's my turn now! I Registered the car as suggested.

I have a website as I work on it...plus it has the history. You can see it at www.1925Packard.com.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.49 KB)
4073_4f711a313ac90.jpg 1280X611 px

Posted on: 2012/3/26 20:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I just heard back from my friend with the 2nd Series Eight. He's on his way home from the CCCA board meeting and I should have some photos by tomorrow evening.

Posted on: 2012/3/26 20:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
for including your '25 Packard "Bus" in the Registry.

Wow! Certainly a different Packard with great history. And thanks for the link to the Website.

Is that another Packard in the garage, or is it just a melding of images? If it is another Packard are you able to include it in the Registry too?

Posted on: 2012/3/26 20:57
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved