Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 102

John Sauser, Spencer B., more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Need a head gasket !
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Well....to make a long story short, As I was returning from Austin, the 51 PackPatty 400 was running poorly and getting worse with every mile. While getting gas in Liberty Hill, I noticed that one of the center head nuts had backed off and you could see where I was losing compression. I went ahead and put a socket on all the other head nuts and they were ALL loose. I got at least 3 to 4 flats on each one. I was told that the motor had been gone through when I bought it so I realized that they had never gone back for the retorque after the first heat up. So I'm thinking the gasket is blown because it didn't improve after tightening all the head nuts. Can someone give me a good sourse for a head gasket for the 327 and a place to take my head in the Dallas/ Fort Worth area to have my 288 head checked and milled if needed ? Flackmaster, if your reading this, I'll take care of our business this Thursday. Let me know how you want it, PayPal or mail.

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/4/22 19:17
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Re: Need a head gasket !
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All the major Packard vendors carry headgaskets, as well as Egge.

Unless you cc or otherwise check your head to determine how much, if any. it might have been surfaced in the past, I'd be very reluctant to resurface it unless the surface is damaged. It is surprising how much these heads can be off and still pull down and seal OK. If you do have it surfaced be sure to check for valve clearance before bolting it down, otherewise you risk bending the heads on some or all valves. There are a couple of ways to do this; one is to lay the head without any nuts installed on the block with the old headgasket and crank the engne. If the head rocks, you're milled too much and run out of clearance for the valves. Another way is to place modeling clay on the high edge of the valves, install the head, again without fasteners, crank the engine over gently, remove the head and check the "crush" on the clay.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 21:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Things may be slow over at the factory this week, so you may have the pleasure of pulling the head and replacing the gasket yourself. Call Feltz Terrill first thing Monday and you'll probably have the gasket tuesday.
Mail on our other business please.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 23:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Thank you for yhose helpful tips. I'll let you know how it comes out............

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/4/23 20:49
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Hey Flackmaster......if it were only that slow at the plant. I'm a salary guy. Today was 11 hours. It'll be that way until the issue is over. Possibly 3 months.

I'll have it in the mail Friday for our other business.

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/4/23 20:53
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My07Bobber,

I have a friend who had the same problem with his 54 "Cavalier 300". The engine had been rebuilt, but he did not re-torque the cylinder head nuts after running it.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/4/23 21:37
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Hi again from David Childs: same thing happened to me, "they" did not torque the headbolts after engine rebuild. Max Merritt, Indiana will send you one overnight! Good idea to make friend with Fred Bruner there at MMerritt. When I need something for my Packards I just send an email and they arrive.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.14 KB)
3440_4f9996c534bda.jpg 800X531 px

Posted on: 2012/4/26 13:41
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hello David,

Love the Patina on that Packard! And good to see another Texas fellow here on Packardinfo.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/4/26 13:56
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Always recheck the head torque after the first 100-200 miles, then again at 1,000. Can't hurt to check again at 10,000 or so. Just don't overtorque. A beam wrench is the best, but if you use a click type, be careful not to overdo it.

Don't forget to check your manifold bolts, too.

Back in the day, checking cylinder head torque was considered part of a tune up.

Posted on: 2012/4/26 15:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Gotta love that "Texas" Patina.....LOL Did you go to the LSRU with your Packard ? We all need to get together next year and "stake out" an area at the LSRU and park our cars together....."Pack" ard Rat Row"..........LOL

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/4/27 19:59
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved