Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 223

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 Caribbean ad
Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
Found at a swap meet

Attach file:

jpg  (156.77 KB)
1052_4fa5c5a9be913.jpg 989X1280 px

jpg  (166.08 KB)
1052_4fa5c5d36e6a4.jpg 989X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/5/5 19:29
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Caribbean ad
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Nice ad. Haven't seen that one Roscoe.

Posted on: 2012/5/5 20:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
There was an ad along the same lines in 54 by the same firm that showed the seats of a 54 'bean along with I think a Pontiac. Most noteworthy in these photos and well preserved original cars was how SHINEY the leather was. Seems you can not get that finish on leather anymore. Thanks for posting that.

Posted on: 2012/5/6 6:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The leather in my 400 still has a lot of the "shine" left. Totally different from the leather in my new car.

Posted on: 2012/5/6 12:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Most noteworthy in these photos and well preserved original cars was how SHINEY the leather was. Seems you can not get that finish on leather anymore...

Ross, yesterday I tried to read up on this subject. After 20 minutes I started to feel that this is an ambitious scheme and I watered the bonsai to add a certain spice of learning. 15 minutes later I knew this project was simply laughable. Leather processing is a combination of art and craft. It needs an expert to talk about.

Click to see original Image in a new window
picture source: www.einrahmung-guntermann.de

Posted on: 2012/5/7 1:46
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Perhaps they also don't make cows like they used to!

Posted on: 2012/5/7 10:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Perhaps they don't have the ready skilled labor anymore -- or no one wants to pay for that step.

There was a "How It's Made" or similar show on leather mfg and one of the last steps mentioned in the procedure was how they get a shine on quality processed leather. Have to burnish it under a heavy moving glass rod. Believe it compressed and tightened or closed the pores. Showed a machine rapidly moving this thick rod thing back and forth with a guy sliding a hide around under it. Said that it took an "artist" to know when enough was enough and each hide was different. Too much in one spot and the hide was damaged, not long enough and a different finish in the midst. No mention whether any chemical means are used.

Posted on: 2012/5/7 10:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH, I suspect you're right about not enough people being willing to pay for the high gloss-finished leather; people tend to pick from stock colors and take whatever finish it comes with. But if you go the route of special order leathers, for example for special colors, the gloss finish can be had and that's what I bought in blue and copper for my Carib.

Posted on: 2012/5/7 11:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
My feeling is the new leathers have the color on the top of the hides the older leather seemed to penetrate into the leather. if you scuffed the old leather you would still see color now it seems to be a coating . The older cars when new when you opened the door you could smell the leather now no so to me. I also preferred the shine on the leather now it no gloss. Most of these things are no doubt do to the new regulation to protect us by big brother

Posted on: 2012/5/7 14:07
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The color on top vs throughout is the difference between spray dyed and vat dyed leather - if you just look at the back of the hide you can tell the difference as vat dyed is colored on the back. Both types still are used. I believe that all automotive leather in new cars has a protective coating applied - that's what controlls the gloss.

Posted on: 2012/5/7 15:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved