Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 227

53 Cavalier, Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

tire tube help needed
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
I want to buy some radial tubes for my 1947 Deluxe Clipper. I think I need tubes with TR15 size valve stems, but the tubes I see available for my tire size, L78-15 (235/75R15) now have TR13 stems. I would rather not use the adapters that are available.
What are other Packard owners using for tubes?

Posted on: 2012/5/9 21:15
 Top  Print   

Re: tire tube help needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If your wheel are in good condition, you should be able to use tubeless radials like those that Diamondback offers.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/5/9 21:25
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wondering why you feel you need tubes? Though tubeless tires didn't come along until 1954(?) or so, Packard wheels back to prewar generally mount tubeless radials without issues.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 21:28
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
I actually have Uniroyal Tiger Paw tubeless tires mounted. However, I am losing air out of one of them. I probably have some rust around the rim or at the stem hole, but I would rather solve my problem the easy way by just putting tubes in when I develop a slow leak like this.

Posted on: 2012/5/9 21:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BlackBeerd
See User information
If you don't have a tank big enough, take it to a reliable tire shop and have them dip it to find out where the leak is. If it is the bead or stem, go ahead and fix it as you wish. If it is a breach in the rim you will want to stop using that rim before it splits and you have a blow out.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 6:03
1954 Clipper Super Touring Sedan -5462
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have heard that using tube in tubeless tires is not advised because of safety concerns. The tires get too hot with the tubes and either the tire or tube fails. If it were me I would find out why the wheels leak and get this problem fixed.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/5/10 9:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For a point of reference all of my wheels leaked when I got the car and put new tires on. I ended up pulling the tires off, media blasting the rims, priming and painting. Not they have held air for years with no problems. The scale rust prevents a good seal in the bead area, and they leak. Better to fix it right then be out on the road somewhere and blow a tube, and not be able to find one, IMHO.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 11:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
I want to thank everybody for your helpful responses. I took the wheel to a tire dealer and they patched the tire. It had a nail in it. However, they said the tire was badly dry rotted.
I will start looking for tires now. I would like the extra wide radials, but it looks the Diamondbacks are about $250 for each.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 20:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If the wheel is rusted bad enuf then the sharp edges will eat thru the tube. Kevin gives good advice on smoothing it out with blasting and painting. However i would most likely just polish it out removing any sharp edges with emery cloth and paint it.

If it'll hold air without the tube then no tube.

Posted on: 2012/5/10 21:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
My 1950 Packard came with wire wheels on it (not factory, but early 50s Caribbean wheels). I like the looks of the wire wheels. The wheels on the car were actually from a Cadillac so I sold them and bought new repro Caribbean wheels. They came sealed for tubeless tires (many spokes) and they hold air very well. I am sure you can seal a steel wheel if it is leaking at rivets.

For the tires I did a lot of measuring and shopping. The tires on the car were low profile radials, too small a diameter for the car. They were ugly and made the engine RPM too high on the freeway. I wanted tires of the correct OD for freeway cruising and narrow enough to fit under the rear fenders. I also wanted a wide whitewall. There were only 3 choices:
1. Radials that barely fit under the fenders and are smaller OD than original
2. Bias ply tires of the proper dimensions
3. Diamondback radials of the proper dimensions

The radials are desirable due to their improved handling. After shopping price I went with the Diamondbacks. They are the most expensive (but not by a great amount) but appear to meet all the requirements the best. I am very happy and my Packard can cruise down the freeway safely at 60-65 mph with good stability.

Posted on: 2012/5/11 14:05
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved