Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 148

Alvin14, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Well, I took the plunge.....
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jeff P-MN
See User information
...and bought a Packard! Yes, after a year of lurking on this forun (learning) and shopping all over the world I bought a 1948 "Station Sedan" aka station wagon, woody, or "crossover" ( as my boys call 'em). It needs TLC (lots of TLC = less $$$!) but is a solid rust free vehicle from the Southwest. I managed to get it to run and drive nicely, thus maintaining some enthusiasm for this project.

I would like to correspond with other SS owners, feel free to contact me at [ Scampout@Comcast.Net ] or use the PM feature on this site as I may be alert enought to answer!

One initial problem I had was the tailgate. Basically it totally fell apart when I opened it, so much that I only had the handle in my hand! After piecing it back together and gingerly placing it in position, I have determined that I need to find someone to build another. Any suggestions? My wife says $$$ are no object (Ya, sure!) but we do need the basics on this car. Like closing doors etc. So if anyone has any suggestions, feed them to me.

Here are a couple of pics of this beast (if the computer Gods let me post them!). Looking forward to participating on this forum now, it appears there are many great people who want to help us newly converted and unwashed disciples of Packard!

Attach file:

jpg  (49.77 KB)
3667_4fb59fe98a90b.jpg 429X285 px

Posted on: 2012/5/17 20:09
1913 Ford Runabout
1926 Ford T Touring
1948 Chrysler NY’er Highlander
1948 Packard Station Sedan regrettably sold in 2019
 Top  Print   

Re: Well, I took the plunge.....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Jeff,
Congratulations on your Packard purchase and to PackardInfo. And, as you've been lurking, you know what's coming next don't you? Why, my usual plea of course, being: Could you please include your '48 Woodie in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo?

Posted on: 2012/5/17 20:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
Welcome to Packard ownership. What a great car!

Posted on: 2012/5/17 20:34
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'47 Packard Custom Super Clipper Eight Limousine
'41 Cadillac Sixty-Seven Series
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jeff P-MN
See User information
I gotta get my scraper out, trouble light, and find that motor # ( if my feeble eyes cooperate!). At that time I of course will enter all the necessary data and register the beast.

Posted on: 2012/5/17 20:37
1913 Ford Runabout
1926 Ford T Touring
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Nice car! Congratulations on your find.

I have a '48 Super Eight that is a long term project, and much of the first issues I have dealt with may concern you too (brakes, cooling system), so feel free to contact me, and check out my blog.

Posted on: 2012/5/17 20:51
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jeff P-MN
See User information
Thanks Joey.....I have already followed your blog and learned mucho!
My car runs good ( now ) and the brakes are excellent. I have little fires to put out like no RH turn signal, no brake lights etc. I will work through them.

Need to get the tailgate fixed, me and wood work do NOT get along!

I spend my winter in SW Florida, perhaps I will drive the car down there next winter. Look for me at a show near you!

Posted on: 2012/5/17 21:01
1913 Ford Runabout
1926 Ford T Touring
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Sounds good, Jeff. Hope you get to drive it down.

Being a woodworker myself, I would love it if my Packard was a woody! Maybe the next one.

If you're ever in the Boynton Beach area, be sure to look me up.

Posted on: 2012/5/17 21:58
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Wellcome to the woodie club; I am putting my 48 back together every day-check the registry under 2293. I belong to the national woodie club and will e-mail you the info, they have lots of adds for wood restoration people.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 9:32

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jeff - congratulations and best wishes for you and the station sedan. An interesting vehicle.

When you have a chance I'd very much like the vehicle number from the patent plate, the Briggs body number (small metal plate near the heater box),and the thief-proof number (large embossed # on the cowl) for my continuing research into same. Motor # would be nice too but not as important than the other three.

I you haven't already purchased it, you might consider Robert Neal's current book on the 48-50 Packards - it has quite a bit on the station sedans in it.

In the past I have run across folks who have made new wood for the 22nd series station sedan. If I run across that info again I'll try to remember to post it.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 12:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Jeff, Welcome to the Packard family. Great looking Packard. You will find many helpful Packard owners on this (the best) forum. The 48-50 Packards are my favorite. Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/5/18 13:02
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved