Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 79

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

exhaust leaks
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I readjusted the valves on the 51 200 yesterday and it now runs much quieter. The valves had been set wide after an overhaul. Now with the engine much quieter, I can now hear an exhaust leak. The manifold gaskets were replaced as part of the overhaul, and there was no exhaust noise prior to the overhaul. My guess is the gaskets may have slipped, or the connection to the exhaust pipe is bad. Any suggestions as to how to track down the culprit?

Posted on: 2012/5/27 14:36
 Top  Print   

Re: exhaust leaks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
David Grubbs wrote:...Any suggestions as to how to track down the culprit?

A mechanics stethoscope, run the engine and using the 'scope "listen" at each join. Failing a mechanics stethoscope a DIY can be easily had from a length of rubber tubing, not as precise but still effective.

Posted on: 2012/5/27 17:38
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's not likely that a gasket "slipped" as they are held in place by the studs and really can't slip. The gasket or gasket ring between the manifold and exhaust pipe is a good bet to check, that's a fairly common point of leakage. Just feel around it with your hand while the engine is running, you should be able to feel the leak.

When you had the manifolds off, did you have them surfaced or at least checked with a good straight edge? Warpage not uncommon after all this time.

Posted on: 2012/5/27 19:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If the intake manifold is bolted to the Exhaust manifold then u mite have to loosen the bolts that hold them together. Tighten the bolts at the block, THEN tighten the bolts that hold the 2wo manifolds together.

Posted on: 2012/5/27 20:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks guys for the advice. I did check the manifolds with a straight edge and they looked good. I'll work on this tomorrow following all of the suggestions.

Posted on: 2012/5/27 23:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I've also found that re-tightening the bolts two or three times after running the motor will help with exhaust leaks. Do it hot, if you can, but be careful not to gronk on it too hard, naturally. Seems like I always find a loose stud or two when I do this after I've had a manifold off. Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/5/28 13:06
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved