Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

custo eight, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Thinking of going with the 2, 6 volt Optimas in Series...advice ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Quote:

JD in KC wrote:
The width of my 7248 is 4 3/16-1/4 give or take. The width of the hold-down is a little over 4 1/4. Here's a photo of the NAPA 7248 in my '50 with what I assume to be the standard Packard hold-down. It fits very nicely.

Here are pics of my hold-down, which looks much like yours. The exact dimension across the inside is 4-1/8", and my NAPA 7248 battery is 4-1/4". Maybe manufacturing tolerances were not that precise back then.

Still, I need to modify the battery to get it to fit, or buy another battery.

I'll grind the battery a little before spending $135 on the exact fit with less cranking power.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.01 KB)
4371_4fcd53f430a7e.jpg 800X598 px

jpg  (28.43 KB)
4371_4fcd5421119b1.jpg 800X598 px

Posted on: 2012/6/4 19:35
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
FWIW I just removed the two long straps from the inside of the end caps and attached them to the outside of the end caps and problem solved. Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2012/6/4 20:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Quote:

packardtaximan wrote:
FWIW I just removed the two long straps from the inside of the end caps and attached them to the outside of the end caps and problem solved. Packardtaximan

Yes, Roger, I thought of doing that. Think I'd rather modify the wrong battery- 1/16" on each side should do it.

Interesting how JD's is a little wider than ours.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 7:09
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The only thing I can come up with is that the 22nd and 23rd series Customs had a 17 plate battery as opposed to the 15 plate battery used on the other models. Since I have a 4 1/4 inch wide hold-down on both my Customs, I have to wonder if the Parts Manual is in error. The manual shows the same 'Retainer Assembly' (P/N 373007) used on all models except the hearse/ambulance. A different part number (403023) is shown for the hearse/ambulance and it would seem logical that those models would use the heavier duty battery.

So... are there any other Custom owners out there that have a factory hold-down to measure? If they also come up with 4 1/4 inch width, then I think the mystery is solved and we can put something useful in the XREF so folks can get the right battery for their application.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 9:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For what it's worth, my 47 Custom is 4 1/8.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 9:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Thanks for taking the time and effort to check. Unfortunately, the Owners Manual for '47 doesn't mention battery differences between models at all and the 1941-1947 Clipper Parts Manual lists the 373007 as the only hold-down option.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 9:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Battery specs appear to have the same differences between models 21-22 series.

I don't find any decent pictures of an old battery but am wondering about battery construction then vs now. It seems to me the cases then were hard rubber and batteries were finished off with pitch or tar over the cells to complete the top. Sides were smooth and don't remember for sure but don't think there was a lip over the bottom section. I would wonder if the plate difference might have all been internal via a filler instead of plates on the lower capacity battery with the case size being the same.

Haven't seen any Napa batteries but is the construction the same or don't most batteries today use a thin sided bottom shell with a thicker top having a lip which fits over the sides. If that's true, possibly the lip (with the molded in nibs) is what's causing the issue.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.89 KB)
209_4fce275b35428.jpg 937X350 px

Posted on: 2012/6/5 10:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Hi your my fin hero ! Im soursing a set of 53 's for my 52

I got a NAPA 7202 for my 52 200 car ,I split the battery tray in 1/2 sideways to make up for the extra legnth ,and added a plate below it .but it looks right ,its a 1000 cch forklift battery that was closest to the original cch for the 52 ,as soon as I put that in I ve had no cranking problems and no pesky hot start problems ,
the car didnt use to like to start after it was even warm before and I went through the same deal with the serial batteries and starters etc.The starters fry running hot from the low voltage start tries from the too small battery
was the 288 head mod worth the time and expence for the 327 ??

Posted on: 2012/6/12 0:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Stivers
See User information
Thanks for the batt info. I'm ghoing to look into that Napa 7202. I assume it's a 6 volt ?

As far as the 288 head on my 327.....that's the way I bought the car. I was confused when I first got it and was doing the numbers research. Once I found the engine sn and asked the question here on the forum, I was relieved that the 288 head was in fact a "performance" mod, regardless of how minor it was. As far as being an involved upgrade, It's a direct bolt on replacement. No big deal.

Going back to my starting issues...I'm having my starter rebuilt, I'm rebuilding the mechanical fuel pump which will allow my 6 volt electric fuel pump to be the primer for the mechanical and.......I am buying a freshly rebuilt carb from another forum member here. The only thing left in the system after doing all the above, would be the distributor even though mine looks to be in proper working order. Looks to be and actually is.....is left to be determined....LOL

HotRod

Posted on: 2012/6/12 2:53
It is what it is....
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved