Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 195

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Why Trim Differences on Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't fault your dads thinking on the Exec. One of my favorites as well. Just wish they had carried out the senior theme just a bit farther with the complete senior dash. I was never that fond of the Clipper instrument coloring and the knob styling.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 17:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Well, compared to the Patrician and Four Hundred, the Executive is a bit plebian (pun intended), but we have to keep in mind that it was meant to be an entry-level Pacakrd.

So, I can't fault Packard too much, as Clipper Custom ended when Exec production commenced. Essentially, the Exec used the same interior as Custom (which was similar in pattern to what Mercury had been using) - save for a few Senior embellishments to the steering column and instrument panel controls/trim. I love that gold i/p overlay, but the Clipper "acorn" knobs help set it apart from the full Seniors.

Was recently talking with my dad about that car, and he confessed that he sometimes wondered if he should have had orderd power seats/windows and air conditining (something his cars wouldn't until have 20 years later). If you look at the list of equipment shown in the Reg, compared to the RPO charts, that would have been one very optioned up car. Also, he wouldn't have power steering in his cars for almost another 15 years - didn't like the feel of it.

Given the failure rate of those Delco electric window motors, I told him that he probably made the right decision for his purposes, but - present parts availability aside - I don't think he would have liked the trade-off in performance with the added weight/load of the AC system.

My apologies if I've drifted too far off-topic.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 17:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My apologies if I've drifted too far off-topic.

Our new member will wonder where his thread went -- but as he will find out, we do tend to wander. I accept being one of the worst offenders.

Given the failure rate of those Delco electric window motors, I told him that he probably made the right decision for his purposes,

Those motors seem horribly overstressed. Makes one wonder if that was another of the things rushed to production while needing a bit more refinement. Seems like they just substituted a motor for the hand crank. Even though there is a spring, all windows suffer from very little mechanical advantage. The hardtop quarters particularly are, IMHO, a failure waiting. Long heavy windows having to pivot coupled with the very short levers having no mechanical advantage means the motor and particularly the end of the worm drive gets all the stress. Add a few years of drying out of any lube and it's no wonder.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 17:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dan A
See User information
Thanks All for the input. Very helpful and informative. I'm sure I'll be back soon with more questions.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 18:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Howard -

To digress even further, I'm wondering what Buick and Cadillac used for window motor and what their service history is like.

My recollection of power window mechanism in GM product of the '70s is that the motor basically replaced the hand crank, as well. Now, if they never failed, I wouldn't have stocked 'em on the shelf of my parts dept., but they seemed to be more robust than the 55-56 Packard application.

Posted on: 2012/6/6 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...In some cases you cannot tell a Custom, Deluxe or Super if you can't see the name on the front fender or trunk...[Randy]

Quote:
...It's impossible for me to tell the difference betwen these three models/bodies at a glance; in the asbence of a view of script plates, one would need a view of the interior, with access to said dealer album and understanding of respective trim sets to do so...[Brian]

That's what I would call a marketing disaster.

Posted on: 2012/6/6 9:15
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gerd,

As you know the inability to distinguish between models was a long-standing problem with Packards starting with the introduction of the 120 in 1935. How do you think the owner of a 1930s Super 8 or Twelve felt when his accountant drove up in a 110 or 120, costing thousands of dollars less? It got even worse in 1940 when the same body was used for the 110 through the Super 8s. True there was some external trim differences, but one had to stop and study the car to tell if it was a Junior or Senior. The Clippers from 1942 to 1947 all looked the same from the outside. One could not tell by glancing at a Clipper if it was a Six or a Custom. The 22nd and 23rd series were much the same except for the special grille treatment on the Customs and Super Deluxes. The 1951-54s got a little better with some styling difference between the Juniors and Seniors, making them more easy to identify. The 1955-56s were much better with real distinctions made between the Clippers and Packards. Packard had an real identity problem from 1935 through 1950.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/6/6 9:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I think you can extend to 54. To Mr average guy, the senior/junior differenc ein appearance is still small. The tail lights? - yes, but prewar tail lights differ too

Posted on: 2012/6/6 12:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Brian saidTo digress even further, I'm wondering what Buick and Cadillac used for window motor and what their service history is like.
There is a space cast for a bearing/bushing just after the armature windings before the worm drive. There is no bearing there allowing the armature shaft to flex under load and eventually snap. Bob Aller machined bearings/bushings from brass and installed them. He said that eliminated the shaft breakage problem. I have examined those motors and you can see that Mr. Aller was correct.

Posted on: 2012/6/6 21:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved