Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 200

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 120 Radiator Removal
Just popping in
Just popping in

Richard T
See User information
I would like to remove the radiator to have it rodded. Some people from the club said the best way is to remove it with the front clip. After looking at it today, it looks like I have to:
1. Drain radiator.
2. Remove hoses.
3. Disconnect front headlight wiring.
4. Remove front bumper and brackets.
5. Remove bolts that secure the rear of fender to main body.
6. Remove the bolt under the radiator that secures the radiator surround and fender supports.
7. Remove bolts holding inner fender to fender.

I was told I can leave the inner fenders in place.Is there anything I am missing, or any better way to do this? I have to do this at an off site location so I want to know what I am getting into before I take the car out of commission.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 14:52
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 120 Radiator Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Richard,
Although you've been a PackardInfo member for sometime, it's your first post so

From what you've detailed think that should about cover the clip removal. First though remove the bonnet(hood), this is probably the hardest part with upside down, on your back, under dash work to undo the bolts holding the hood to the centre of the cowl. Also the hardest part on the reassembly. You'll also need a strong helper to assist in lifting the complete hood assembly off as well as somewhere to store it while the clip is off. Best to drape it over a trestle structure so it hangs in a shape similar to it's position on the car. Will also need "muscle" for the clip lift, the front end will be heavier than the back with the radiator and structure, but it can be carefully stored on the floor. If I remember correctly you'll also need to unbolt the front of the running boards from the bottom of the mudguards(fenders), unbolt the stays between the fenders and the chassis, one each side, and remove the positioning bars between the radiator and the cowl. I'm sure if you miss anything it will soon become evident.

Believe by taking the clip off you also help yourself by opening up other areas not normally readily accessible. Presume you'll be cleaning out the block too so one that comes to mind is the water distribution tube in the block, although that also means removing the waterpump. But seeing you're taking out the radiator to clean it properly why leave a likely source of further contamination unchecked? There can often be a buildup of crud in and around the distribution tube that requires more than flushing. Plus you'll also be able to clean and detail the engine area relatively unimpeded.

And lastly, a request. Could you please include your '39 120 in Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo?

Edit - One more thing, I'd leave the inner fender panels attached to the fenders. Comparatively easy to include them in the clip removal, from memory they also bolt to the radiator surround. They can be a trial to get back in with the clip back on.

Posted on: 2012/6/15 21:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Richard T
See User information
Thanks very much.

Posted on: 2012/7/16 19:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I have removed the radiator in my 39 more than once. I did not take off the fenders. I took off the bumper as you need a little play where the bumper brackets come through the fender. I removed the hood and the two support rods that run from the grille to the cowl. I unbolted the grille surround from the fenders. I loosened the headlights and wrapped them in cloth and laid them on the fenders. Remove the chrome strips between the grille surround and fenders. With a little help, we were able to pull the fenders apart far enough to pull the grille out.

I agree with the suggestion that you pull and clean out the tube behind the water pump. This is also a good time to replace the front motor mount which is an inexpensive part and a real pain to get at with the radiator in the car.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 23:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
As per John's note:

That's the best way to do it provided the bolts aren't too rusted. Especially as regards running board rubber.

However, for a junkyard or restoration case pulling the nose is the superior method.

Posted on: 2012/7/21 9:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved